Is Randall's Mom the REAL head coach of the Tigers?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

LOL...

Flynn must be really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad.

Or is he?

Maybe Saban ain't all that hot, himself.

2. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Well, at least you mentioned that he did throw the game winning pass. For all the things he did wrong, he didn't play Troy all by himself.

I don't think Saban keeping him in has anything to do with MR's mother. However, I do feel Saban stands up for his players, that is something I like to see in a coach. While Saban takes the heat for the team's effort, guys like Zook are too busy placing blame all over the place.

When teams win or lose, it is based on team effort. Constantly bashing one player is not going do any good. You have every right to be pissed or upset, but try to see that football is a team sport . . . blaming everything on MR isn't going to change the fact LSU has trouble running the ball and all the QB's are getting poor protection in the pocket.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

You make _some_ valid points. Hopefully other people won't be quick to forget another qb's performance in the Florida game with two int's leading to an early 14 point deficit.

Right now any consistently good, hell even consistently average, quarterback would be a great sign for LSU fans.

I doubt anyone would disagree that Randall needed to be pulled at some point tonight, even if just for a wake up call. He was rattled for a stretch there.

Fortunately this was Troy and not an upper echelon team that we were up against.

I am happy to have gotten the win because that is all that matters. However, there is little comfort in feeling relieved to pull out a victory against Troy.

4. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

Ok, Randall had a bad game after the good start, no question. But Randall doesn't call the plays. What you said right here points to coaching to me. How many times can we run the WR screens and draws. It was obvious the coaches didn't have a lot of confidence in Randall since they were limiting things so much. The play calling was awful.

5. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

The main problem with the game is the failure of establishing the running game forcing the team to be one dimentional. I agree with LSUfan: the performance depends on the team's effort. One of the interceptions with the ball tipped by the receiver I don't believe is entirely Randall's fault, whereas the other two were his. On the other hand have to give the team some credit as they , again, kept on fighting till the last minute. I would be very interested in understanding exactly why the running game was not effective: fault of running plays schemed and/or offensive line not able to control the line of scrimmage.
    ________
    E-cigarette store

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Exactly. It would have been all too easy for this team to just have given up tonight. But they didn't, they gutted out a win against Troy. Sure, it is not impressive and no one is going to fondly look back at this game . . . but we won the damn game.

It's college football, and for some reason I just can't get into blaming 1 player for an entire team's effort. In the pros it's a different story, those are men getting paid to perform. In college it's kids playing a game while attending school.

I'm not trying to excuse a poor performance, that's not my point at all. But, the point of football is to win the game. However, the game of football is not about generating pretty stats or reaching a certian QB rating. In the end, it's just about winning a game.

7. max

max Founding Member

We're not bashing one player to be mean, but if you have a quarterback who is a very inaccurate passer, it pretty much wipes out your passing game, which allows a defense to stack the box and take away your run and when he throws three INTs on top of it. He allows an offense that is not very good to almost beat us because of bad field position.

It is about the play of one guy to a large respect. We could easily be 2-5 or 6-1 because we have very bad quarterback play.

8. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Flynn threw one pass and it was a horrible decison. He threw on the fake field goal 10 yards shy of the first down to a guy who had three guys around him and no way in hell of making the first down. Flynn isn't playing for a reason...trust the coaches. I love how these "fans" turn on Marcus so quickly.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

This is an idiotic statement...

Are you telling me that offensive line protection has never caused a bad throw or hurried throw or a pocket collapse or a throw post-breakdown of containment?

I have to give you credit, because you're unafraid to call a spade a spade...But you have the same problem I have at times...You type before you think...

You must get so wrapped up in your bile and p!ss and vinegar that you really don't think through what you say...Because one of the INT's was an absolutely catchable pass...If it hits you in the hands, then I don't care where it was...Behind, beneath, in front of, over the top of, or otherwise...if you can get your hands on it, you can snare it.

The other two were Marcus' own fault, and they led to points aganist us, 10 total. Broussard's fumble cost us 7 points, too. But no mention of his continual fumble problems...

Scant mention of a total lack of ability from Nate Livings. His regression as an offensive lineman is depressing. Watching a lineful of what early in the year was considered one that had 3 1st rounders on it turn into one that can't protect adequately against a team that's in their 1st year on the 1-A level is grotesque.

People talk about the tight end and its lack of appearance in our passing game. Well, the quarterbacks tend to forget about them when 9/10 plays, they're blocking because we just can't get pass/pro done with our 5 O-lineman.

This is something that's a serious problem. McGill, Niswanger, Wilkerson, & Livings all have serious consistency issues. At times, they seem to play well. At others, they simply show an inability to play with any toughness or focus or clarity of mind.

Also, I see absolutely NO mention of our playcalling by anyone here. Jimbo Fisher should be villified for his continued putrid offensive playcalling performances. I called out continually when the draw was coming on 1st downs. My father was also calling plays. He's played a lot more organized football than I did, and it's depressing that SEZ seats and their fans can figure out where Jimbo's going.

No option. No rollouts. No moving the pocket. No sprint outs. No naked bootlegs. No run/pass option plays. No rolling the tight end to the wide side while rolling the QB the same way.

Most of all...THERE IS NO DOWNFIELD THREAT IN OUR OFFENSIVE PLAYCALLING. YOU MUST THREATEN THE FIELD VERTICALLY IF YOU WANT EVEN SUNBELT DEFENSIVE BACKS TO STOP PLAYING LIKE 5TH & 6TH LINEBACKERS FOR RUN SUPPORT INTO THE BOX.

AGAIN...

IF YOU WANT EVEN SUNBELT TEAMS TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY ON OFFENSE, YOU MUST AT LEAST THREATEN THE FIELD VERTICALLY. AT LEAST RUN ROUTES APPROACHING VERTICAL, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT INTENDED AS TARGETS OR DESIGNED OPTIONS ON THE PLAY.

IF YOU DO NOT AT LEAST THREATEN VERTICALLY, YOU WILL NOT RUN THE BALL FROM THE SPREAD WITH 4 WIDES.

4 WR's + 1 QB + 1 RB = 5 offensive players to block
    4 DL + 3 LB -2DB's + 2 DB's up in run support because they know we won't go deep = 9 men to tackle the ballcarrier.

I do not care who you are playing. If it's the Patriots of our Era, the Packers of the Lombardi Era, the '85 Bears, the '00 Ravens, the OU defense or our '03 defense...5 blockers will never open holes against 9 defenders.

I don't care who the blockers are, and who the defenders are. It will not happen. It is physically impossible for success to be realized in that situation.

There is no toss/sweep in our playbook. There are no option plays. There are no sprint outs. There are no roll outs.

This is not execution by the O-Line (Though I've mentioned their amazingly serious issues already) or the play of the wideouts or the mental focus of the quarterback...This is playcalling. Fisher calls the offensive plays...Fisher is to blame.

Saban has the overall onus...But Fisher is the person who was calling the absolutely inept game in the 2nd half...He cannot continue to restrict the field and put our offensive line into these situations...

The defense has absolutely no problem, other than holding onto interceptions. They played exceptionally, and could do no better.

We have issues on the offensive line, and throughout the offensive side of the ball. The talent is there. We all know it is.

The coaching is not addressing it, and has become a part of our problem. Fisher-for whatever reason-is calling absolutely horrific games. He is ignoring simple things that we can all see from our seats and couch's.

Having said all this, I think we played well, and showed "True Grit" and showed ourselves capable-again-of being able to succeed and overcome adversity.

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

TE it was an idiotic statement made by an idiot. good call. he cant help it he has been squaking doom all season. pitiful bandwagon fan. baisc knowledge of football is 1-4th qtr and where is the concession stand, after that all bets are off. :dis: that's why some of these people don't understand the concept of offensive line and a running game. :dis: