is saban's defense the next turning point in college football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, Mar 8, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

is nick saban's defense the next transition in college football meaning will more schools try to copy it, will more offenses be set up to counter it.......i think the answer is yes (obviously for the offense) and the result will be more blitz, faster paced game and more offensive excitement in big plays.......i think this is really the beginning of a major transition........on another note, remember when schools like oklahoma and alabama ran the bone and alot of option plays until the defenses got too quick......i think the only schools that still use this are the military academies to counter size disadvantages on the line......didn't army try to go to a drop back pass offense and this is the reason for their 0-11 season (also causing them to get a new coach......or old coach in age new for them......hope he can pull it off).......

2. BB

BB Founding Member

You have to have the right coaches to teach Saban's defense and you must have the right players and ability level to run it. I certainly expect to see similar defensive schemes in the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10...

As for the Puss-10, they will still play without any defensive strategy

3. snorton938

careful.......that is exactly where the offensive counters may come from first.......just a hunch......not sure on defense, depends on speed......they could have it.....

4. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

I think many teams in the country will dream of running our defense, and some may have moderate success BUT...

a large part of the defense starts with the corners... that's where we are #1 on an off the field. best cover corners in the land

on the field: Corey Webster, Sr, All-American & T Daniels (better than Webster??)
    off the field: Nick Saban, corner Kent St, former defensive back and defensive coordinator in the NFL

BOO-YA baby!! Saban isn't afraid to let C-Web and Travis alone on their islands, and they have the skills to do it.

now it takes skill up front too... but with those corners you can probably send any average/decent defensive linemen or LB full force against the QB. i'm not saying our front line is weak (come on... Spears, Williams, Oliver, Pittman, etc., etc.), but I think w/ our corners and scheme you may not even need quite the talent that we have up front. but having that talent all around is what makes us #1. just my opinion.

5. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Snort, You never told us if you are cooking another pot of gumbo tonight.

Nick Saban is one of the top defensive coaches in the country, including the NFL. I will just leave it at that. Why worry about a good thing? Spurrior had about a 5 year run where his offense was flat out amazing. Maybe our Tigers can put on a defensive run that we will talk 30 years from now.

Defense wins championships. The future looks bright in BTR.

6. snorton938

no.....one pot goes along way......still eatin' it.......don't say that man.......i want other teams to adopt it and counter it and elevate the game.........you remember the great games not the pushovers.......i wish i could have seen some of the lsu vs. ole miss games in the late 50's and early 60's.......to me that is what it is all about.......

7. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

Crawfish...In Tiger fan minds we will talk about this past years defense for the rest of our lives.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Of course, But Nick will get what SOS never did (an undefeated season)

We will have several seasons to talk about when it's all said and done.

9. snorton938

i like your style......by the way i put shrimp (not crawfish) in my gumbo........

10. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

You should open a "Gumbo Shoppe" in Orlando.