Is the media liberal or not?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JohnLSU, Apr 2, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I concur. Maybe it is just me, but I assume television & newspaper when I hear "the media", which is what I think the question was aimed towards.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I completely disagree.

I much prefer honesty about the viewpoint of a story to deceitfulness.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Fox is no more unbiased than the LA Times, CBS or the NY Times. They all lean in a particular direction. But they all speak the truth. It is just that the Fox gives the news with a conservative persepctive while other news media presents the news with a liberal perspective. Nothing really wrong in that. One is not really "worse" than the other. I think they all present the news fairly but not necessarily objectively.

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

That's a huge point! And, to their credit, American media will slap each other down when someone crosses the line from editorial bias to shoddy reporting or even outright fabrication.

It's just important to realize that the "news" isn't just trying to inform, it's trying to INFLUENCE. Caveat emptor.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I disagree. CNN has a leftward bias. Fox is a right wing spin machine.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

here is what i wrote:

they=you not the network.

capisce?

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I know exactly what neo-con means.

To me, a traditional conservative is moderate, measured, and catious, both economically and foreign policy wise. When I think of conservative, I think balanced budget, limited goverment, and a strong military used for defense.

Huge deficits, expansion of goverment, and using the military for wars to spread an ideaology is not my idea of a conservative.

I don't think that initiating a pre-emptive war without enough solid evidence to support the war is conservative.

Your post sounded condesending to me. Don't assume because I don't neccasarily agree with you politically that I'm either uninformed or try to paint me as a liberal, I'm not so easily pigeon-holed, as as are most americans, I have views that are both liberal, moderate, and conservative.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

What does honesty and deceitfulness have to do with being objective. You can present the facts about the story then put a liberal or conservative spin on the viewpoint of the story.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

A biker is riding by the zoo, when he sees a little girl leaning into thelion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket andtries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his bike, runs to the cage and hits the lionsquare on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker
    brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter from the New York Times has seen the whole scene, and addressing the biker, says Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I saw a man do in my whole life.

Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this
    little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.

Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist from the New York Times, and tomorrow's papers will have this on the first page. What motorcycle do you ride?

A Harley Davidson.

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings
    news of his actions, and reads, on first page:

BIKER GANG MEMBER ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH.

An excellent example of the media in action!!!

And you say the media isn't liberal!!:lol:

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Because neither one is truly objective, but Fox is more honest about it.