Is the secondary in big trouble this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Apr 26, 2006.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm on the same page here.... Spring games are "quirkie"....You can look at it from both ends. Either Bowe looks great and will be a force (like the way CParso views it) OR our secondary looks lost (the way OVD sees it).

When you play against yourself, it's a give-and-take. What came first? The chicken or the egg??? Is our offense just that dominant?? ...is our defense that inept at stopping the pass??? In reality, it's probably somewhere in the middle.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not from what I heard about Bowe in the Spring Game. Making acrobatic, one-handed, leaping touchdown grabs is awesome, and not the fault of the secondary - just due to an amazing play by the receiver. In fact, the secondary probably deserves credit for gaurding him so well he had to make that kind of play, but he gets credit for actually making it.

3. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I enjoyed your response to this thread. I think it is time for me to lift your probation and change my location. You know what your doing? You’re growing. Yeah that’s right.

I hope that Bowe has a breakout year. He came in here w/a few others and was suppose to be one of the greatest receiving corps ever and quite frankly I am just not impressed w/what these guys have done as a whole. It's been one drop after another man I’ll tell ya. That’s why I bring up questions about the secondary. Now I am thinking that Bowe and Russell were just never on the same page. If I have to pick one I have to go w/DB.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

When the ball dissappears inbetween it being thrown and it arriving in your hands, it's hard to be on the same page.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

True. I guess I should have said offense in general.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I don't think so. Remember last season what we had to deal with... I don't think I have to remind anyone, but two important events stand out: a new defensive mindset and then a totally sobering catastrophe. I stood by my thoughts and words all last season that LSU would have been in the front for another title run if we simply wouldn't have had to play from behind to start the season off. To think that it'll take (mostly) the same players/coaching staff three games to get in-sync again this season is a little foolish, I would think. But, I've been known to be wrong.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We had a new defensive coordinator last year. It took a loss (the Tennessee game) before any of our players would buy into his system, and that's when we became dominant. I see no reason we would expect the same slow start this coming year.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Man, I think our secondary is in great shape. To my knowledge, we're only losing Prude, who has TONS of natural talent, but was sometimes a bit short on technique and therefore a liability (but to his credit, he came up huge several times). But Chevis and Steltz were getting their first real action last year, and no doubt they learned a lot, considering all the close games we were in. So expect them to improve. Zenon also showed flashed of greatness from time to time. And I don't even need to comment on Landry and Daniels.

Of all the areas of the football team, secondary was second-lowest on my concern list, one notch above wide reciever.

EDIT: Ya'll think Jai Eugene will see action this year? I hope not, because that would mean our current players are tearing it up.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

300 yards in a game? what game? There was no spring 'game'.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Out of curiousity, what's your list look like?

I think atleast one corner recruit will see action. Miles even said we would likely have someone not redshirt to provide further depth there. My guess would be Eugene, but maybe not since he didn't play corner much in high school.