Is there a basketball game tonight or not!?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Nov 16, 2009.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

how many shots did tas and bo spencer miss tonight? i think he can do better. he's OK on defense. if he averages about 4-6 pts a game i'd have no reservations starting him. garett temple didn't score too much and he was a starter. the fact of the matter is who does CTJ have that's better? the other big man, harris, showed some game with 10 points, but i think it's still a bit too early to tell what's what with this team outside of mitchell, spencer and warren, ya know?

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I think this is largely right. First, I think whether Green starts or Harris starts, Trent has a plan. Garrett is certainly better than he's showing us right now, largely because he has to feel comfortable and healthy with the back. He's still feeling his way around, and once a few shots fall for him, he'll be alright. Let's also not forget that at 6'10" 230, he starts against the other team's big man and plays hard on defense. There's more to it than just the scoring. Dennis has been able to come in off the bench, bring energy and perhaps he's better coming off of the bench. In any case, I've been pleasantly surprised by the production by the Tigers' frontline. With Warren being a third scoring option and a monster down low, I think that Green and Harris will get their share of opportunities.

As for the evening, in some ways Trent's philosophy feels much like the Brady days. If you can play good defense and rebound, you have a chance in any game. And, it was clear with a 50-28 rebounding advantage that LSU just dominated the boards. They also played pretty good defense since they held an experienced, passing/cutting team to a low shooting percentage AND a bad assist to turnover ratio. That says something about the team's ability to fall back on something. And, the Tigers shot 83% from the FT line, so it tells you that as long as they stay aggressive offensively, they can manufacture points. So far, the team has shown up to play.

Now, tonight it gets real. Western Kentucky is generally picked at the top of the Sun Belt, and this team returns 4 starters from a team that beat Illinois and lost to Gonzaga by 2 in last year's NCAA tourney. They can push the ball, have decent overall length and good guard play. Tonight will be tougher, and continue to throw different styles at the Tigers.

:geauxtige:geauxtige:bball::geauxtige:geauxtige:bball:

1 person likes this.
  3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

green will be invaluable because storm will foul out of a few games and there is no other post presence.

anyway, cut the guy some slack. he's never played and he's coming off a serious injury.

stat anomaly of the night---indiana state had 1 assist. i thought that was impossible for a team that runs a princeton O.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Wow, ISU must just be terrible.:rolleye33:
    They were much better when I was the coach in Ch2k7.:lol:

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Sometimes you think a team is not so good b/c of a performance against your team. Indiana St won their consolation game versus Milwaukee handily and scored I think 76 points or so. So, you can start to appreciate what LSU has been doing on the defensive end. They've got a solid defensive game that hasn't been easy to score easily on.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

You are probably correct but until I see LSU play this year and get a feel of how their defense I'm clueless.
    The season is young, I hope you are right because the SEC is going to be tough this year.
    I haven't watch any NCAA basketball games yet, I'm just now making that transition.