Is today the day that an LSU player thwarts another Manning championship?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by john randolph, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cdew

cdew Freshman

I don't care one way or the other about Elway. As I remember, Elway just said that he might play baseball instead. I don't particularly agree with it, but he had some leverage and could have gone to play a second sport. If he had been pushed to a decision, maybe he would have been a baseball superstar or a nobody.

Eli is a quarterback and nothing but. To say that he won't play for this team or that team because he feels entitled and the family is "football royalty" is BS. You may not like who you get drafted by, but if you are the best QB you can bet you are going to a crappy team. Peyton had to put up with it and so have a lot of other QB's.

2. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

The Mannings are class, through and through. I agree that what Archie did with Eli in the recent draft was ill-conceived manipulation, and it looked poor on their part. That aside, the Mannings have conducted themselves in a manner that is generally above reproach and I admire and respect them.

Archie Manning was one of the best college quarterbacks who ever played the game. Do you discount his performance because he never won the Heisman or a championship? When Archie was a senior he broke his arm halfway through the year and lost the Heisman to Jim Plunkett. As for not winning a championship, we could make a long list of great players who never won championships and begin that list with Dan Marino. There are quite a few LSU players who can, unfortunately, go on that list. As far as his career with the Saints goes, how could you judge a quarterback (or any good player) forced to play on those teams? In the late 70s, when the Saints finally assembled a team that even hovered around mediocrity, Archie Manning not only made the Pro-Bowl, he also was voted MVP of the NFL.

Is the Manning's main sin that they seem to support Archie's alma mater instead of LSU, the school that was Ole Miss' main rival during Archie's years there? How dare they?!? By the same reasoning, the sizable LSU alumni chapter in Houston should be closed down by Texas authorities and its member kicked out of the state. If Bert Jones, for example, were to have moved to Mississippi, would we expect him to switch allegience to Ole Miss?

They've never done anything for the state of Louisiana? Archie Manning supports a number of organizations that benefit Louisianans. He is a large contributor to the New Orleans Area Boy Scout Council as well as Special Olympics and the Salvation Army. At the very least, Archie has chosen to live in Louisiana instead of moving back to Mississippi, and his tax dollars (some of which go to support Louisiana State University) stay in Louisiana.

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Actually, the ONLY reason Elway considered baseball was the fact that he didn't want to be drafted by the Baltimore Colts, who had just finished a 2-14 season and had the #1 pick. He wanted to play for a "west coast" team, and I guess Denver was close enough for him. It was a HUGE stink at the time, but eventually Elway overcame it by his performance on the field. Obviously, Eli has yet to do that.

Also, as stated elsewhere in this thread, there are MANY players who have never won championships, but that does not take away from their ability to play their individual positions. Football is a team game last time time I checked, and no one position, not even QB, is enough to completely change a teams ability to win a championship. It is just one piece of the puzzle, albeit the most important one.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Archie did start a Pro Bowl or two and obe year he, Galbraith, Muncie, Chandler and childs all started in the game and the NFC tore it up.

Elway did the exact same thing that Eli did in reality, he didn't want to go to the awful Colts and their horrible owner so he simply used baseball as a pretense. He actually signed with the Yankess and proved he was terrible at it, he would have wnet anywhere in baseball. He was just willing to sit out for a long time before playing for Irsay.

5. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

It did seem that the Saints were "on the cusp" at that time, until they sent Chuck Muncie to San Diego, and then followed that with that 3 way trade in 1981. Let's see....Saints send Wes Chandler (all pro WR) to San Diego, San Diego sends John Jefferson (all pro WR) to Green Bay, Green Bay sends ???? to New Orleans? I can't even remember, that's how awful that trade was.

I think there are a lot of similarities to the Saints of the late '70s and today's team. Potentially potent offense, and no defense to speak of. Very capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and proving it time and time again. :dis:

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

How many Heisman qbs have come from LSU? But this old reb can name you several that I think of as "winners." WINNERS and just damn nice people!

7. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

I was thinking what if a Booty and a Manning mated :dis:, would this hellspawn be the most shunned creature in LSU history ?

8. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Ole Miss is a good enough reason to piss on any parade a manning ever rides in. Probably jinxed the saints for life. screw the mannings and :eek:lefire:

Bert Jones didn't go to a manning football camp. neither did Y.A. title.

for that matter one of LSU's biggest OLD SCHOOL rivals used to TU lame. Archie would have gone there before LSU. Mr. Peyton manning meet your worst night mare, Belichck's defense. I hope it hits him again next year, and the year after..... etc..etc.......

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I am convinced that many people do hate the Mannings for the simple fact that they sent their kids to other schools. I know, I know....they say they have othe reasons but I really don't believe them. I hate Ole Miss too but sending Peyton to UT and Eli to OM doesn't make me hate the family....just root against them when LSU played them.

As for the Mannings being over-rated, Eli made OM a darn good team when IMO they sucked. Peyton went to a NC game and won the SEC along with beating every single SEC team except Florida it seemed. Archie was a great QB on a shi**y team...