Is Van Chancellor done?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Mar 16, 2011.

1. dudley

dudley oops!

It's about the LSU Athletic Dept., specifically Joe Alleva. I think the Women's basketball coach at Duke has been pretty successful but overall Joe's hiring record is pretty dismal and I'm pretty sure he's very aware of that and being the political person he is (and we know that based on his documented record), just what is going on here.

Van Chancellor wasn't eager to resign as coach of LSU - USATODAY.com

Btw, Georgetown is Kim Mulkey territory, so getting Forthan is a pretty good recruiting feat,

So, I'm wondering.

Why not let Chancellor finish out the year on his contract, with what looks to be a strong team.

Is he jumping on this opportunity to make a hire with success dumped in their lap to bolster his resume?

Will he go to California or North Carolina and hire someone who doesn't know which way Lafayette is from Baton Rouge?

I don't about anyone else but I find this very interesting.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It doesn't look like a strong team at all to me. They couldn't even make the tourney. Despite his one top signee (that hasn't played yet) Chancellor has not recruited well.

He's getting on up there and appears to be past his hall-of-fame prime. If he's got to go, then why prolong matters? He's going to be paid for his final year, but LSU needs to move on quickly if we are going to compete with the Tennessees, Baylors, and Louisiana Techs, of the world.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Kim Mulkey would obviously be a great hire, and she's from Hammond, so perhaps the big draw for her would be moving close to family.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we couldnt pay her half her salary. she aint going anywhere. this isnt tennessee.

i really think trent johnson should be considered and give the men's job to ricky blanton. isnt he a local hs coach or something. i mean at this point, it doesnt really matter. lets get gimmicky and mix it up.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm thinking we should give the men's job to Johnny Jones, who's making UNT semi-competitive. And, well, UNT did beat our men this year.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Or Butch Pierre, who recruited about a half dozen players that went on to the NBA.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yeah, but pretty much everyone beat our men this year.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I follow women's basketball too...it gives new meaning to the term "point spread". :rofl:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we should honestly give it to bruce pearl. hes the modern day dale brown--a salesman--who gets results.

and both cheat and get caught.

but who cares if we have to forfeit last years 2 wins.

perfect fit for us probably not so much for him.

Id guess pearl will be headed to the wnba unfortunately. we could use him and the gold or purple jacket.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Van Chancellor, the Smoke Laval of Women's basketball.

See ya.