Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. moraink

moraink Founding Member

I was just taking a look at some OSU boards (thanks to those who pointed them out) and read many threads that we have not seen anything like "Beanie" Wells. As much as that may be true, we have faced better running attacks as a whole, and are 1-1 against them. (Arkansas 296.8 & Tulane 201) I know we should not consider Tulane but we went into Triple OT against Arkansas where as OSU has only seen one rushing attack better than ours, Illinois, and we all know how that worked out for them. We have also had 14 more rushing TDs than OSU with a grand total of 15 more offensive TDs, (passing and rushing) granted we played one more game.

Now, I'm not saying Wells is a slouch. I saw him play in the HS Army All-American game and he was the only person who impressed me in that game (our very own Jai Eugene played in that game, he commited to Michigan and I was actually happy, he got burned often). He's definately a stud, but I still like LSUs chances against him and his Buckeyes. If we are able to neutralize him, that game is going to be all TIGERS!

I can't wait!

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Rushings yards per game vs LSU

Miss St - 10
    VTech - 71
    MTenn - 9
    SCar - 17
    Tulane - 88
    Florida - 156 (QB Tebow had 75, rest of team had 81)
    Kentucky - 125 (less than 100 in regulation)
    Auburn - 97 (Dorsey is intentionally injured)
    Alabama - 20
    LaTech - 67 (Beckwith injured, best run stopper in LB corps)
    Ole Miss - 201 (QB Shaeffer had 102, rest of team had 99)
    Arkansas - 385 (Beckwith and Dorsey extremely limited)
    Tennessee - 94 (Beckwith back and effective)

Arian Foster of Tennessee came into the SEC CG averaging 5.3 ypc (and 1100 yards), only got 55 in 21 carries for a 2.6 average. He probably most closely represents the kind of back we will see in Beanie Wells.

Write this down. With a totally healthy LSU defense, the Ohio State Buckeyes will not surpass 85 yards rushing. Boeckman can't run with the ball to save his life (so we won't see a reoccurrence of Tebow of Shaeffer in this game). This means Boeckman has to have the game of his life in order for Ohio State to have a chance. He won't.

3. sluTiger

sluTiger Founding Member

keep reading OSU boards, Wells is the best fish story I have ever heard. They more they post the more weight he gains and the faster he becomes. Right about game time the will double as a sumo wreslter that can beat Trindon Holliday in the 40.

1 person likes this.
  4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Beanie Wells visited the Virgin Islands....

5. moraink

moraink Founding Member

Well, I went to Rivals and when he came out of HS he was 6'1 228lbs and ran a 4.5 40. Scout listed him as 6'1 220 lbs and a 4.5 40. Now he is listed as 6'1 235lbs on ESPN.com but no 40 time. I honestly can't see him getting faster 7 lbs heavier, but I may be wrong, he's just packing a bigger load that can wear down defenses.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Beanie Wells = Slow Ronnie Brown

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Bottomline, If OSU can't run the ball they are burnt toast.
    Beanie Wells is the key and from the games I watched this season he is 100% of their running attack.
    Strange, The OSU doesn't seem to have any depth at running back!

8. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

Um they've already been re-named since Glenn Dorsey visited. Didn't you get the memo? :wave:

1 person likes this.
  9. Buckeye507

Buckeye507 Founding Member

We have decent depth at RB but no other superstars like Beanie.

Mo Wells is great as a blocker and decent receiver out of the backfield but he doesn't break a lot of tackles and I will admit that the play calling for him has been somewhat bad running him up the middle. Many OSU fans have discussed this over and over on the OSU boards.

Brandon Saine is a freshman and has done fairly well this season. He was hurt for a few games this year and had to have surgery on his knee midway through the season. He is back to 100% now.

Boom Herron will not play more than likely and is in his redshirt freshman season. The only way he plays is if both Wells, Saine and KC Christian (walk-on) get hurt.

Honestly, how many more RB's do we need to have "depth". If Antonio Pittman had stayed for his senior season we would be a lot better off no doubt.

Beanie will get his yards I have no doubt but Boeckman is the key to this game I think. Our defense will keep it close, Beanie will have 100-150 yards and a couple of TD's but if Boeckman isn't sharp we are in big trouble. He doesn't need to have a huge statistical game, but we can't have him throwing interceptions and fumbling either. The way I see it, if OSU has 1 TO or less they will win, 2-3 depends on LSU and it will be a close game regardless, and 4 or more and we will be in for another blowout. One x factor that I believe will come into play this game is LSU's over aggressiveness on defense resulting in first downs that would of otherwise forced OSU to punt.

Go Bucks!!!

2 people like this.
  10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No way does Wells rush for over 100 yards. LSU has shut down equivalents or better already this season. No one did until the LSU defense physically began to wear down and get injuries. After a month of healing, expect to see more of the defense that Miss State and Va Tech saw. In fact, looking back over the season, LSU didn't allow anyone to rush for 100 yards until McFadden and his freaky offense came to town. Brent Schaeffer came close with 94 yards, but he's not a RB.

tOSU's best hope is that LSU ranks up 100+ yards of penalities to keep the game close...