Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. AnnArborBuck

AnnArborBuck Freshman

Exactly who is this equivalent that you speak of (seriously)? Wells is one of the best running backs in the country with his combination of size, agility (wicked, wicked spin move), strength (great stiff arm) and good speed.

OSU also has a better OL then you have probably seen all year so that is going to come into to play as well. That being said, LSU will also probably have the best DL we will have faced all year. Dorsey can be a beast at times, but other times I wasn't awed by his play.

I would also like to point out that Wells has been hurt all season and our #2 guy Saine has pretty much been out since the 3rd week. First with a knee injury and then a concussion

1 person likes this.
  2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Anthony Dixon, MSU; Matt Forte, Tulane; Cory Boyd, USCe; Brad Lester, AU; Darren McFadden, Ark; Felix Jones, Ark

No doubt that tOSU's line is good; It seems like they always are but so are the O-Line's of Florida, Tennessee and Auburn.

What was the best rushing defense Wells faced? Michigan State? He had over 200 yards then, didn't he? What does that say about the defenses he faced? Horrible, horrible, horrible.

I can't pass judgment because I only saw two tOSU games this year, but I never came away impressed with Wells. I think that LSU has at least two better RB's on their current roster. He's good, but I don't think he's been hit in the mouth like he's going to be hit in a week. He'll wake up real quick the first time Dorsey blows up the center and guard and drops him for a loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. sluTiger

sluTiger Founding Member

Actually I think the key to stopping Wells will be RJF more than Dorsey. A healthy Dorsey will command the double team. Jean-Francios is going to be huge addition to our Dline...

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

In an earlier thread you said they wouldn't have more than 100 yards rushing and I thought that was a bold statement. Now, it's down to 85? Again, bold, bold statement.

1 person likes this.
  5. lasportsmen

lasportsmen Founding Member

I found it interesting that Tennessee installed their version of the Wildcat offense vs. LSU in SECCG. It told me Tenn knew they couldn't run a conventional I formation and get significant yards from it....they didn't!

If OhSU runs conventional I have a hard time seeing Bean-nut getting 100 yds unless LSU comes out flat. Both teams play to potential Bean-nut doesn't get 100yds and Boeckman becomes the man to watch.

Something to see is if OhSU run version of Wildcat and spread early in the game. My bet is they will....

1 person likes this.
  6. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

There are only two backs in your list that are comparable to Wells and they're both smaller (McFadden and Jones and neither is over 205 lbs). Dixon is half the back that Wells is, Lester is 5'11", 195 lbs and Boyd and Forte don't belong in the conversation. They're not going to be everydown NFL backs. Barring injury Wells is.

Penn State was the top run defense that Ohio State played. They're 6th in the nation and Wells put up 133 yards on 25 carries against them. Perhaps LSU will shut him down but it would be unwise to dismiss him as you have.

McFadden went for over 200 yards against LSU's defense. Does that make LSU's defense horrible, horrible, horrible as you've stated because he put up big numbers? I don't think so but by your logic perhaps you do.

1 person likes this.
  7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

wells is a quality back and will show up well i think. it all depends on the game plan. what does LSU take away from the buckeyes and try to force them into?

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

After the Christmas holidays, I bet we're all packing bigger loads. :shock:

That's what New Year's resolutions are all about. :D

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So you want me to limit my list to only RB's the same size as Wells and as good? Why? What does size have to do with how good a RB is. Production alone should be used to judge the caliber of a player when you have it.

Forte is easily dismissed simply because he plays at Tulane and was looked over coming out of HS by everyone because he was the RB in an extremely pass happy offense, but many have predicted him to be a first round pick and most predict him to be a first day pick. Few have seen him play and fewer even know who he is. You'll know soon because he'll be playing on Sundays next year.

Dixon plays behind one of the worst O-Lines in college football and still manages to play well. He gets hammered into a lot of 9 man fronts and has no passing game to help him, so his ypc average is atrocious, but the big has has enough speed to break long runs when he manages to get past the first layer of defenders. Same for Cory Boyd, only he split time with another RB.

Lester's return pretty much resucitated AU's season if I'm not mistaken. My <s>loyalties to LSU</s> hatred for Auburn prevent me from showering him with much more praise than that.

Impressive. Dan Connors is a beast all by himself.

I'm sure I'm committed some sin here by typing their names in the same sentence, but Wells on his best day isn't as good as McFadden on his worst. McFadden is the best RB in college football for the last three years. Shortly after he is drafted, he'll hold the same title in the NFL (barring freak injury).

Yes, LSU's defense that week as freakin' atrocious. Injuries made Dorsey ineffective and placed a MLB in the game that was inexperienced and not up to par with Darry Beckwith. The misdirection Arkansas ran in the freaky offense pretty much kept him out of position for the game. That and three extra possessions helps a guy blow his numbers up on you.

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Wells is a decent back at best, nobody is comparing this guy to Adrian Peterson or anything like that talent at all. With that said, he will an average day, possibly 75 yards or so. We are at full strength now and this kid isnt DMac at all. So lets chill on how great he is supposed to be. On what defense has he proven to be so great?:geaux:

Im not being a homer either, cause I give DMac and Peterson and whoever else thats been a great back their just due.