Is Zach Mettenberger really that good?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Oct 28, 2010.

1. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

I was just kinda wondering. Everyone seems to be so excited seeing the potential of Zach Mettenberger playing QB for us next year. The only video I have watched about him is when he was playing for UGA in the spring game and to me he looked pretty average in that game. In comparison, Steven Rivers's HS highlights really make me feel stunning (I know HS's D equals to nothing, but still). Is Zach Mettenberger really that good that he will live up to our expectations on him?

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Chris Landry on 1210 AM didn't seem all that high on him, seemed to think he was a run of the mill pocket passer.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Mettenberger has a huge arm. Like Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford style, so that's where most of the hype comes from.

Unclear still whether or not he'll be accurate as a college passer, but reports out of Athens had him ahead of Murray in the spring. Murray is looking pretty damn good this year, FWIW.

4. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

too early to tell just yet. Hasn't played a down of sec football. We'll just have to wait and see what happens if he does commit and when he arrives.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Pretty average would be damn nice to have right now. I think it's the fact that he would/should be ready to play his first year that has the coaches and fans excited. We need a QB yesterday and don't have one to even develop. Miles needs a starting QB that can throw a 10 yard pass to an open receiver for next year and Mettenberger appears to fit the bill. True freshmen are a gamble and Miles isn't going to let Lee take the reins or so it appears.

6. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

If he is average that would be a nice upgrade at this point.

7. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

It doesn’t really matter how good he is. If Miles keeps Crowton, then he will ruin his career too like he has JL and JJ.

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

relative to our QB's, he's probably peyton manning.

9. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Our QB's are not nearly as bad as our play-calling. Especially Lee. He hits a high percentage of his passes and the majority of his throws are decisive and on the money.

It's not necessarily his fault that the play-calls are all five to seven yards. :rolleye33:

He's shown he can hit the intermediate routes with conviction also. I think under a better scheme designed for a pocket passer, he could surprise a lot of people.

My expectation is that a better OC comes in and allows the man to flourish like he should have a year ago. Mettenberger will be THE GUY for his junior and senior years...which is exactly what we need from him more than anything else. I'd hate to start 2012 with a redshirt frosh QB. We'll be right back where we started.

1 person likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

ott is saying auburn is recruiting him as is alabama. great. i would almost bet he has a better chance at starting for bama next season than he does for LSU.