Is Zach Mettenberger really that good?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Looking that way but I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I still think the bigger question is will he start if he's heads above what we have now.

And from all I heard, it certainly appears that way.

He will have the entire spring to get acclimated to the offense, and with the word of how intelligent he is, I don't think picking up the offense will be an issue.

It's up to Les and his loyalties. Does he put team first? I hope so.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think he would. I think the reason he sticks to what he has is because it is his best option. If something or someone better should rise above them, he would choose that person. I don't think that JJ or JL are married to the position to the point of not being able to be replaced.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Mett takes over jl's roll and jj still starts. Mett would come
    in to pass but miles loyality to jj keeps him starting. Maybe mett plays more than jl has but jj starts next year aginst Oregon. I would bet the farm on it

5. LEGACY TIGER

I would agree with this, but would add that should he shine by week 3-4 he would take over as the starter. Miles might not name a starter, but ZM would be who ran the O for the majority of the time. Slowly phasing out JJ.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Jj will play a significant number of snaps and jl will sit the bench. I wonder if jl would have been brought up in a normal manner instead of being thrown to the wolves as a freshman what he may have become. Even if mett starts jj will still play because of miles loyality to jj but I doubt jl will recieve any playing time except in mop up duty

7. LEGACY TIGER

That’s just not how I see it playing out. I agree with the question of just could JL become had he had the opportunity to mature properly, of course the same question could be asked of JJ. I don’t think that Miles will stay loyal to JJ should ZM prove to be the better QB. The reason he does now is that JL hasn’t proven to be any more consistent than JJ. By using both he at least has a QB that can pass down field and a QB that is a run threat. Neither really is better than the other, but together they are both just effective enough to win games. We were all wanting to see JL come out for the Bama game and take over the reins, well he didn’t until JJ got hurt. Instead it was JJ that had the hot arm and could move the ball down the field. It was the opposite in the AU game, JL had the better arm until he got hurt, then JJ came in and started doing better. Either way you cut it both are inconsistent and we are better off using them both.

That said, I believe that if we get ZM he will be groomed to take over. Once he has the playbook down and proves to be better than either of the choices we have the O will be handed over to him.

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I hope u are right. If we had a qb at least as good as Matt Flynn was we would be undefeated and #1

9. LEGACY TIGER

Better than that, we would be undefeated and dominating everyone we play.

10. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Here's the thing though, Mettenberger will only be a sophomore. He's a RS Freshman right now.

If Mettenberger did earn playing time, it would likely be in place of Lee. Jefferson would remain the running QB and Mettenberger would get a shot to light it up in an early game. If he did well, he'd get Lee's reps, not Jefferson's.

Jefferson moves the ball with this team, in a weird way. We are a much better running team with him in the game. If Mettenberger comes to LSU, he'd be hard pressed to beat out a guy who could possibly be 21-6 as a starter going into his senior year (18-6 right now).

The good news, is that Mettenberger would still have two more years of eligibility and we would still have a very solid team around him.

If he wants to play right away, he should go elsewhere, but if he really wants to win a championship, he can come to LSU and enjoy 2-3 great seasons of us giving it our best shot. Can't say that he'll get that at Texas A&M.