Israel to strike Iran?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, Mar 13, 2005.

1. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

When I know people are probably smarter than I am I like to correct them at every chance possible, to make myself look better. :hihi:

2. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I agree that the Arab countries are not inclined to attack Israel. However, in this case the Israelis will be the aggressors. If that is the case, in my opinion, the American people will be shocked at how much of the world will line up with the powers that are anti-American/anti-Israeli. The US is not widely regarded as the benign superpower that most of us would like to think.....we have our nose in way too many people's business to be popular.......I think the neo-cons of the Republican party are really taking us down a collision course with China/Russia/Iran. There is no possible way the United States military can sustain the current balance of power in the world against those countries. Not to mention that if/when hostilities do break out between Iran/Israel that the price of oil will go through the roof. The US economy is fragile enough as it is and $100per barrel oil would likely send the stock mark south in a serious way. If the stock market tanks then the dollar is going to be right behind.

My point is that the idea America will dominate the world and the world will just sit by and take it is ridiculous. The great equalizer is nuclear weapons and there is no way to stop other countries from obtaining them eventually. So what if we delay the Iranians from getting them for another 10-20 years....eventually the technology will be available to those nations that are have-nots. At that point in time they will have nothing to lose and years of resentment/hatred focusing on Israel/America. I'm not saying we would necessarily lose and end up getting on our knees to pray towards Mecca or anything but if it gets that bad.....who the hell cares? You can kiss your 401k and any pretty retirement plans goodbye, the US economy would be in complete shambles.

So what's the solution? Tell the Israelis to let the Palestinians have a slice of land they can call there own and pray like crazy it works. I don't think there is a plan B. Of course it's just one man's opinion.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Iran is definitely working on a nuclear weapon. Nuclear power plants are costly and dangerous. We haven't built one in the US in decades. Why would a country with one of the biggest oil reserves in the world waste money on developing a nuclear reactor for "peaceful" reasons. The could simply buy one from the Russions or the French if they just wanted a nuclear reactor. No, they want to develop their own nuclear engineers, fissile materials, and nuclear laboratories. Laboratories which they admitted last week are being constructed in tunnels up to a half mile underground to prevent their being taken out by an airstrike (a futile effort, by-the-way). Nobody goes to this cost just to develop a nuclear power plant. No matter what they say, Iran is developing a bomb.

They are in exactly the same position as Iraq in 1981. When the reactor was just a few weeks from becoming operational, the Israelis took it out. And the world condemmned them, but did nothing about it. If the Israelis think that an Iranian bomb is a threat to them, they will take it out. But the Iranians are Persians, not Arabs, and despite their islamic rhetoric have never attacked Israel. I don't believe the Israelis think Iran is a military threat right now. Syria is the country most likely to receive Israeli airstrikes in the near future.

Iran, I believe, is just posturing and trying to keep up with the Jones'. They are not only concerned with American attack, but with Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and other Persian Gulf neighbors and historic enemies They must contend with Israel and Pakistan who are both nuclear armed. This nuclear power program is a bargaining chip for them.

Iran has never gotten along with Osama bin Ladin, their terrorist support has always been for Hezbollah, not Al Qaida. Hezbolla works almost exclusively in Lebanon. Iran is not likely to give some terrorist a nuclear weapon with their return address on it. They would absolutely lose a nuclear war with Israel who has 200+ nuclear weapons, much less a nuclear war with the US who has 13,000+ nuclear weapons. And they know it. They just don't want to be pushed around by Iraq and Pakistan.

I believe they want to have a handful of nuclear weapons to deter attack from their Persian Gulf neighbors. But it certainly won't deter Israel who they cannot defeat, nor America who they cannot even hit.

4. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Not that I would not like to see Isreal unleash a can of whoop ### on these folks but it ain't gonna happen. They have made a statement sort of like bar room friends do. Now that there big brother USA has heard them WE will step up and keep Isreal out of any conflict.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I don't think so...as stretched as we are militarily, and as competent as Israel is w/ precision attacks, I think we'd be more than happy to let them handle it.

If you need ONE THING hit, or one specific person killed, the Israelis are about as good as it gets on gittin' r' done.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

We will find out soo enough. Cause Iran aint about to change so they either need to get busy or shut up and quit crying wolf.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That's been tried. Numerous times. It's never been good enough for the Palestinians or their towel-headed brothers. They won't be happy until
    the state of Israel ceases to exist in addition to having a homeland.

Funny people, these Arabs. They'll fight w/ each other in a second over who's great-grandfather spit on who's grandfather's camel 75 years ago. Yet when it comes to Israel, all of a sudden, they're brethren.