istsl - bcs guru

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUstudent, Nov 28, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I wasn't referring to you. Why I would be bursting your bubble? That makes no sense.

How bout maybe I was talking to AustinTXhorn.

I made a change in computer calculation. But it is still not close enough for Texas to overtake Cal. The voters have to decide that one as well. The computers polls won't hurt Cal any with them playing Southern Miss this coming week. Southern Miss beating UAB this past weekend assured them of that.

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Sorry, you weren't very specific. :confused:

3. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

Weren't bursting my bubble either. If you saw before, I said that I wasn't counting on it to happen and I'm already expecting to go to the Cotton Bowl to beat Ainge-less Tennessee by 3 or 4 touchdowns.

4. islstl

True (to both of you).

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Technically, that's inaccurate. Believe me, I was right there on the BCS knowledge this time last year, and regardless of what happened in Kansas City between OU and Kansas St., an LSU win over Georgia and the outcomes of other games (notably Syracuse over ND and Hawaii losing to Boise St.) would have put LSU over USC.

Sure, the media would have screamed bloody murder, but an LSU win over an 11-0 OU team that people were saying (before Kansas St.) was one of the best college teams of recent years would have stopped all debate...and given LSU an undisputed, unified title.

Damn OU. :angryfire

6. islstl

Technically the OU loss to K-State did hurt LSU, as Georgia slipped another spot in the BCS (K-State passed them) and removed a valuable .10 deduction from our overall BCS score, nearly costing us.

The real problem would have been had OU lost to K-State, say, 35-31, instead. OU could have fallen to #2 in either of the 2 polls while LSU remained #3 in that same poll, thus allowing USC to make it instead.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

That .10 was the "quality win" bonus, was it not? I thought Georgia would have fallen out of the top 10 BCS-wise regardless, costing LSU that bonus (and making the OU-KState outcome moot).

I agree that a close OU loss could possibly have kept them at #2, but I can't help but think they would have still fallen to #3 due to pollsters "doing the right thing" (i.e., why should even a close loss to an 8-3 Kansas St team that lost to Marshall at home keep OU at #2 over an LSU team that smashed a top 10 Georgia team in Atlanta the same evening?)

8. islstl

If I remember right, K-State finished #10 in the BCS and Georgia #11 before the bowl games. And yes that was the ever famous and controversial QW.

9. islstl

Up-to-date BCS rankings yield:

Cal = 1314/1525 + 1410/1625 + .80 = AVG(.8617 + .8677 + .800) = .8431
    UT = 1266/1525 + 1325/1625 + .88 = AVG(.8302 + .8154 + .880) = .8418

Looks promising for Texas, but unfortunately the Cal/Southern Miss should yield these final computer polls:

Most likely:
    ......................KM...JS...RB...ST...PW..WC
    Texas...............4.....5....4.....5.....4.....4....0.87
    California...........5.....4....10...6.....5.....6....0.82

Best case for Texas:
    Texas...............4.....4....4.....5.....4.....4....0.88
    California...........5.....5....10...6.....6.....6....0.81

If Auburn loses and best case for Texas:
    Texas...............3.....3....4.....4.....3.....3....0.91
    California...........4.....4....11...7.....6.....6....0.81

Note: in the ST (Anderson Sports) poll, the real potential is there for Auburn AND Tennessee to wedge itself in between Texas and Cal.

If the AP/Coaches stayed as is, then the Auburn loss could yield:

Texas = AVG(.815 + .830 + .910) = .8517
    Cal = AVG(.868 + .862 + .810) = ..8467

Note: This allows for a .10 fluctuation in either Texas going down (.90) OR Cal going up (.82) in the computer polls and still have Texas ahead of Cal.

In other words, Texas stands a more than decent chance at finishing ahead of California in the BCS standings should Auburn lose to Tennessee.

USC or OU losing would not have much of an effect on the computer polls for Cal and Texas, as they would not drop below #3 in most or all of the computer polls.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Yo Horn.... I was in Flagship Randall's off of Bee Caves Rd Friday talking smack to the locals, who were all complaining about UT's poor showing against A&M in the first half. I told them all to put it on Ch. 5 to see some real football (LSU vs Arkansas)..

One old fart was laughingly assured that Nick Saban would be the next coach of UT.....

My wife's cousin was married this past Sat. at House on the Hill. We had a great time down there.