It couldn't have gone better ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Sep 28, 2014.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Did anybody notice how fast he gets everyone in position. He gives them the whole play clock to look at defense and get the right play. Many times I saw him clapping his hands and getting everyone set with 20 seconds left on play clock. Refreshing to see that with all the confusion we have been seeing the last few years.

fanatic likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, I think Harris has earned the start, which is proper. But he's still a freshman, still has a lot of rookie mistakes ahead of him, and reportedly is not quite as advanced as Jennings with the playbook. There will be a game or two where he struggles and we will need Jennings to come in and be steady. This is why I suspect Jennings will get a few series in every game this year. We are too thin to not have two quarterbacks developed.

Harris has two big advantages right now . . . he appears to be a more accurate passer and he makes his decisions quickly. Even if it's a wrong decision, we come out better if there is no hesitation.

GregLSU and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  3. red55

That happened with both quarterbacks this game. LSU is now running a no-huddle offense, but it is not a hurry-up offense designed to get in a lot of plays. Cameron is still running the clock but letting the offense get on the line early and letting the defense perhaps tip their intentions, giving Cameron enough time to change the play before the snap. Good technique with a green quarterback who we can't entirely trust with making his own checks at the line.

I noticed that the offense abandoned those picture boards to signal plays and have returned to hand signals by sideline quarterbacks wearing headsets and talking to Cameron. Defense is still using them.

gyver, Richdog and GregLSU like this.
  4. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I definitely noticed. He seemed to have it all together and he inspired confidence throughout the whole team. He LED the offense. Jennings seems to be just another guy. I don't think for a second that the team is laying down and not playing hard for Jennings. But Harris has gotten the job done on every drive. Also the receivers don't "run the wrong routes" leading to INTs when he's in there. I laughed my ass off when the sideline reporter said that was why Jennings was picked off on the pass to Dural.

5. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

The entire first part of my post was sarcasm regarding our coach's thought process. Of course Harris should start and get the vast majority of snaps. Everyone not named Les Miles sees and admits that. And I haven't seen Harris make any mistakes yet. If he doesn't have complete command of the playbook, he's sure as hell executing in the plays he does know pretty well. Maybe simplify it and make it easy. It's not like handing the ball off 50 times a game and throwing it 20 should be that complex. Or like our offense is so deep and difficult for opposing teams to figure out. And if Jennings does have the playbook down better, he certainly isn't showing it. Give me the dumb Guy who wins and have the smart guy who screws up come in at garbage time.

And with Les being Les, I fully expect Jennings to take the snaps on the first series next week. If he refuses to name a starter officially, I get that it is gamesmanship to make Auburn's preparation more difficult. OK. But Harris should get 75% of the offensive snaps unless he flounders.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

It's sad that it took this big a disparity in performance for Les Miles to give up on his prodigy Anthony Jennings (crossing fingers).

Had Jennings just not turned the ball over and we were sputtering on offense, he would have left him in the game the entire first half and probably most of the 3rd quarter, and he would be starting next week vs Auburn. He may still be starting vs Auburn anyway, we will have to wait and see.

tirk likes this.
  7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

As he should. Jennings can not be shelved for Harris completely, we will need both QBs down the stretch if we're going to be successful. It is imperative that we keep Jennings confidence high, and getting gam reps.

vshouse and red55 like this.
  8. red55

The circumstances could be reversed before this season is over with the lineup we are facing. Harris is also going to have a bad night or could suffer an injury. No point in bashing Jennings any further, we may need him badly before the year is over.

Kal-El012 and GregLSU like this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree and I'm not bashing the kid, hell before last night Jennings was my guy. You just gotta make the most of your opportunities. Hell I've always been a believer in the Spurrier method, you play bad, you sit.

GregLSU likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

FIFY