It was a good win...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COramprat, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

When does it stop? Who decides what is right to say, and what is wrong to say...

That to me is the problem...

Sorry it isn't what you want to hear. If you have a problem with what is being said, know about it, and still go, and then get offended by it, sounds to me like its your problem.

2. roynav

roynav free your mind

Tell you what. Man up. No need for secret police. Be a man! If you are so sure of your right to sing such ditties at football games, please BE A MAN and accept responsibility of your first amendment convictions. Contact the dean. Give him your name. Tell the Dean its your right to chant such things and that *#$*%& it, you bloody well plan to keep on doing it. Come on man, dont sneak around! Fess up and fight for our freedoms....

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That is the key. It should NEVER come to any type of organization or group to lay down a law as to what you can or cannot say. That would go against everything this country was founded upon. It SHOULD however be a responsibility of everone to know what is right from what is wrong. As someone pointed out earlier, just because you CAN say something doesn't mean you SHOULD say it. Would you walk into your moms house singing that crap? I think not. Would you shout it if she sitting next to you in the stadium? I hope not. This is a self policing type of thing and unfortunately the band is having to do the heavy lifting by not playing the songs that the idiots can't stop screwing up. It just shows a lack of class and makes the university look terrible in the public eye. I guess they have no problem with that beings they are too effing stupid to realize what they are doing.

4. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I understand your reasoning and agree that is a problem, but not a problem created by the students. Its reactionary quick fix by those in power. Its those in power trying to enforce one groups morality on another.

Taking away the song really doesn't fix anything, as you have already stated, the next song will get a chant, and the next... As others have pointed out you might as well remove the band all together, that way there is nothing to chant too, or go ahead and remove the student section... when does it stop

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

To point out bad behavior and condem it is NOT censorship nor being a nanny. To wish for people to not say things they wouldn't say in front of their mother or little sister is a good thing. To set an example by controlling your use of foul language while still yelling and screaming for your team is the way we should all act and hope for in others. You know I don't like booing the other team not because it is inpolite but because it is useless. "Tiger Bait" is the yell that intimidates the other side when the whole stadium is yelling it.
    That said I acted imaturely while a student at LSU in the 70's, let loose a few obsenities. I also brought booze into Tiger Stadium and was carried out once by frat brothers. To expect the students to behave as ladies & gentlemen is to be desired BUT to expect and lose it when it doesn't happen is stupid.
    If this becomes a problem it is up to LSU's administration to figure out a way to redirect it to acceptable means.
    To all you censorship nannys protecting the right of free speech get real. Individuals asking that people behave is NOT censorship. BTW only the "state" can censor speech.
    Maybe both sides can grow up and talk about Tiger football.

6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I have never, and will never chant such a thing.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Fun debate, don't take offense anyone, but I adamantly believe in our 1st amendment rights. Yes what they are saying is vulgar, yes they probably shouldn't say it, yes it would suck if Neck got 'taken' away because of this. But I believe its their right to say whatever the hell their silly little hearts desire.

Cheers

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I also am a firm believer in our First Amendmend rights.

I'm also a believer in civility, decorum, and respect for others.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i understand and respect your stance, but disagree with it.

should there be no code of conduct inside the stadium?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. Then we could follow their migration route to the nesting grounds. When we kill one, where would we send the band?