It's all about the new QB...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Apr 30, 2004.

1. rookie

rookie Founding Member

Those who want to rave about the offense at UCLA can keep dreaming. That claim would be similar to hiring Muschamp as proclaiming him to be a savior on defense for some team because Bob Toledo was the offensive braintrust on those teams just like Saban is to the defense here. I love Muschamp as our DC but I wouldn't go proclaiming him as the savior b/c he is very unproven w/o Saban.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

What are you talking about we LOVED Hugh Nall!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :wink: ;) :wink: :D :D :geaux: :lsug: :champs:

3. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

You can have him. What have you got to trade? :cool:

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First off, the SEC does have a lot on in-experience at QB next fall. Second, I would take Croyle and Jones over JC. As for the rest, you may not think the same after a few games are played, we'll see, although I don't really like the guy at USC and any good QB at MSU would surprise me. I think Jones would have flourished even more if he were at a school with some kind of passing offense. He was third in the SEC in passing effeciency last season. But JC isn't as bad statistically as he is made out to be, just seemed as though he could not hit a big pass in the big games except for the one that got dropped in the endzone. He should be better this year.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Seems there is a reason you're the O Coordinator for an abysmal coach for a team with no football program. If this guy was so good, he would have been somewhere else. Seems LSU went that route of believing coaches from unproven schools could help them succeed.... it brainwashed the fanbase and we had almost 10 yrs of losing seasons. Do not drink the kool-aid. You're an SEC team....you deserve better. Of course he may turn out to be Steve Spurrier, who knows.

what happened to that guy, jimbo?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Shhhhhh! Guys, . . . don't tell the Barners that there will not be a big drop-off from LSU this year. Don't tell Georgia either. Let Nick show them on game day. :grin: :grin: :grin:

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Methinks the quarterback, regardless of which team, gets too much credit for a win and too much blame when they loses......... won't matter anyway. Neither LSU or AU has a QB that will make the difference in this year's matchup. ne .... Pure and simple on this one. It won't matter which coach, or which kicker, or which OC, or which teams fans, or which band .... it will come down to AU's O-line against LSU's D-line. Whoever cowboys up wins the west.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

not so fast my friend...

I think the QB play whether its big plays or big mistakes could definitely be the difference. A Jamie Howard performance by JC wouldn't surprise me or the coaching blunder like Curley Hallman by Teletubby wouldn't surprise me either. One of his infamous onside kicks at the most inopportune times rings a bell. I think the coaches and the QBs could very well decide this one.

I'm still thinking there's no way to replace those defensive gems you get once every decade or so as Dansbury/Thomas/McNeil/Torbor all playing together for so long. The replacements have to be a serious dropoff given their leaders all left.

So I guess I agree with you also....all this could and should factor into the outcome.

9. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

LSU's success early next year will come from the defense and running game.
    I think with time the QB (whoever it is) will lead a high powered offense that will be tough to stop.
    If LSU's D plays like they should (see last year) I would bet we have a great chance at winning any game aginst anybody.
    JMO.......... :tigerhead

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

It's a good assumption, but I think that's the question that many would like to know. Dansby and Thomas will be missed, for certain, but McNeil was severely hobbled most of the year and Torbor became more of a situational player because AU was behind early in many of it's most important games in '03. AU's secondary will be noticably improved over the past two seasons, and Ant Williams will anchor the LB corps. The big surprise will be DE Stanley McClover - his playing style reminds many of Lavalais - powerful, physical, and a motor that Detroit would envy.

Right now, based on the players we know about, I'd give an edge to LSU. But as I said before, it's still too early to be making predictions until fall ball arrives. I'd be surprised if LSU is not favored by at least 4 points ...... and that'll suit me just fine.