It's happened before....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Trolyce, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Herb

Herb Founding Member

The other Parallel to remember is that several coaches, including Houston Nutt, turned down Nebraska after Solich was fired. Nebraska ended up hiring Bill Callahan after he was fired by the Raiders.

Callahan was the only "big name" coach willing to accept the Nebraska job in a 45 day coaching search by the AD. The perception was that Nebraska had become a program where winning was simply not good enough and most decent coaches approached with a job offer said "thanks but no thanks".

The Nebraska program had its first losing season in over 40 years for Callahan's 1st season.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

So what were the excuses we were given in 2005? Saban ditched us, not vice versa. He left a team with great talent, tradition, fan base, facilities, recruiting, you name it. What gives?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Callahan's problem was not wins and losses. He turned his back on Nebraska's tradition, made former players feel unwelcome and generally just acted like a grade A prick. Tom Osborne was called in and he and said to get rid of him so they did.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that rc slocum name almost scares me enough to stand pat.

nutt is nutts.

this hiring crew at LSU is a bad bunch. i think they may be more incompetent than who they wish to replace.

i think most fans instinctively know this, hence the fear.

and most of it comes down to ego. they dont want another nick saban storming the hallways.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Skip ****ed the program with this hire. Many long time supporters said wtf the day he hired this jackass.

6. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

These were the names floated around by the fans. Who did LSU approach that turned us down? Who did we not get that LSU wanted? The fan's wants and desires, etc., are irrelevant. We're not the ones hiring the coach.

Edited to add: I think the Nebraska comparisons are apples to oranges. Quite honestly, if we see more games like the one this last Saturday and if immediate and obvious changes aren't made on O, I'll be calling for CLM's head soon. This is ALL ON HIM...this **** has been going on for far too long now and the man has to take control or find another job at this point. We are NOT a very good team firing a coach because he's 'not quite good enough for our fine institution' ala Nebraska. Anyone who watched the Ole Miss game last year and watched with astonishment that the same ****ing thing almost happened again vs. Tennessee this year understands that our problems are much deeper than our record, and any hypothetical firings are not simply because we are 'spoiled'.

7. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

You're absolutely right, wins and losses are also not why Solich was fired and wins and losses may not be Miles' downfall either.....

8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I'm not quite understanding your question.

My response was to point out that firing a coach after 9 or 10 wins usually winds up biting that program in the ass. I used the OPs word "parallel" to project what might happen to our program in the future by doing a "parallel" move to what Nebraska did.

Notre Dame sure thought they were upgrading also when they got rid of Willingham and hired Weiss.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

As an aside, I was watching some of "The Blind Side" tonight. The SEC coaches recruiiting Oher were Saban for LSU, Fulmer for Tennessee, Tubby for Auburn, Nutt for Arkansas and Orgeron for Ole Miss. Is there a message there?

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep, les missed out on another offensive lineman.