ITS OFFICAL: coach fran to A&M

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Dec 5, 2002.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

just saw it on ESPNEWS....wow what a shock...not really....but bama swore he wasn't leaving...

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

3. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

sucks for Bama

i am sure we will feel the way they do right now, but hell, Saban has at least been here for 3 years. I don't know how long he'll be here (my guess is at least 5 or a national championship) - but I will be sad when he leaves.

The Tide is bound to begin a decline because of sholarship restrictions, anyway. Probably smart to get out when he did. I think Saban becomes more of a true Tiger at heart each year he is here.

Wonder who his replacement will be??????

Let's start to speculate.

What about urban Meyer of Bowling Green?

University of South Florida coach?

4. CresentCityTiger

CresentCityTiger Freshman

Fran leaves just before the salary cap kicks in**

5. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YUP!

6. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I heard the might be looking at the university of Pittsburg coach....

Walt Harris.....just a rumor I heard

7. Trentster

Trentster Founding Member

If it's posted on the internet, Fran believes it - but according to Bama fans he's such an outstanding person and should be taken at his word. Boy has their story changed. Damn, I wish we still played A&M.

8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

So that is why Fran left...

because it was posted on the Internet so much for the last few weeks and he obviously believes everything on the Internet. So I blame the Bummer faithful for not heading over to the eATMe boards and fighting harder for the last few weeks. :)

Actually, I am not too surprised about how it went down. I believe that Fran has a history of switching jobs in this manner. To me he is now the Tubbervillain of the Little 12.

Also, didn't Fran have some sort of "racial" incident with one of his players when he was last coaching in Texas? I remember hearing something about that. Anyone remember the details?

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Fran leaving Bama is not going to hurt the Tide worse than if Saban left LSU. No matter the NCAA situation, if they can give no scholorships, or if Bama is forced to put jail bars up in the Sports Department . . . they will have a better chance at getting a more high profile coach than LSU, and Bama's list of possible replacements would be more attractive.

Now, before anyone calls me a traitor or bashes me . . . understand I am an LSU graduate and a huge fan of Tiger football. And remember what it feels like to watch Tiger teams go unranked for full seasons and only hope for crappy bowls (much less a chance at the SEC title). Other than Saban, LSU has not hired a good or great coach in almost 15 years. Bama has had the mistakes and guys they wished never coached there, but they always get a good coach and the football program never drops off the map. Hell they got more national coverage and media attention this year, on probation, than LSU did after winning the SEC. Bama football is well known all over the college football map. There is always some coach out there who wants to guide a powerhouse college football name like Alabama . . . even if they have no chance at winning, because if they do win they will be immortalized forever (not just in ALA, but in college football folklore). Very few of these schools are around (ND, Bama, UCLA, NEB, MIA, etc). The name Bama recruits itself, and there is never a shortage of TV games (Even under probation).

Saban leaving LSU scares the hell out of me. We are exatly one poor coach away from being that talented SEC school who can't win. Becoming the SEC school where JRs leave early because they can't imagine winning at LSU. The school that can't recruit in our state and watching talented guys go to the Big Ten, Big 12, and god forbid other SEC schools. Before Saban we couldn't keep high school RBs in BR from going to FlorST. The day Saban leaves LSU for the NFL, without fully seeing his plan for LSU played out, will be a very sad day for Tiger fans. I respect what Saban is doing at LSU. He is building tradiation again. He plays to our talent's strengths. He has the guts to run the ball, knowing fans will bitch about stats, in favor of gaining boring wins. He came in and said that he didn't care if LSU lost every game, but wanted to make sure teams would fear playing LSU because of the physical style of ball they were going to institute. And he wasn't afraid of benching a Booty to go with the team favorite Ro, knowing that could hurt recruiting and some of the northern fan base. He brought a NFL/BigTen coaching philosphy to a school that desperately needed it. LSU fans have some pretty unrealistic expectations, although not a bad as Bama. Saban is building LSU into an exciting program again, I hope he stays long enough to work out his plan.

I don't feel for Bama, they will get a good coach. And in the situation Bama is in now, you can bet he will want to be there. Fran is probably better suited to A&M, and being a Texas guy . . . it is probably a life long dream (I remember Fran putting A&M on his short list of schools he could leace TCU for). I'm sure if any of us were coaching somewhere big name, but got a call from LSU, we would leave to answer Mama's call. LSU needs to have coaching stability to stay competive in the SEC and in the national spotlight, Bama has the luxary of not needing that to happen.

10. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I'm not too concerned about Saban leaving anytime real soon. TigerSaint and I sat and talked with a relatively prominent member of the athletic staff a couple weeks ago at a local bar. We posed the "How long will Saban stay" question. He was quick to answer that he'll be here until his kids are out of high school. I think that gives us at least 3 more year. In that time period he should be able to get this program on pretty firm ground. Once that is established I am not as concerned if he leaves.

I would liken it to Butch Davis building Miami and then Coker taking over. Coker isn't somebody in the coaching ranks that recruits know on name recognition until now....but only b/c he is the head coach at Miami....put him at <insert lesser known program> and he does not do as well. It's the "Miami" that sells b/c of what Davis built before it.

Let Saban get it built and they will come.

See you in Dallas in Long-John's!!!!!