ITS OFFICAL: coach fran to A&M

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Dec 5, 2002.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

don't quite agree LSUfan

Seems like a lot of Tiger fans think Emmert will make sure we don't go with bargain coaches ever again. I think Saban has shown that LSU has a lot to offer and can win in THE premier conference. I think head football coach at LSU is more attractive than Bama at this time (say if Saban left after this year also). I'm not saying Bama can't hire a quality coach. It seems like a part Bama nation has always been upset with most of their recent coaches. Even Stallings was kind of run out of town. It's kind of ironic that Francis was the first coach that appeared to have complete support of the Tide faithful in awhile.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Saban is not going anywhere. Lets not even address that....

He wont be here for 20 years, but I would not be suprised if we have at least 4-5 more years out of him.

I have listened FineBaum over the Net and it is like Armegeddon over in T-Town. HolyCow..... The Bammers are a bit bitter right now.

3. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I totally disagree with LSUFan, in fact I've never disagreed with a post more. You're falling into the same trap and repeating the same old retoric as some Bama fans. Don't judge the future by what has happened in the past under different administrations. If your theory was correct, we would have never been able to attract Saban in the first place. Look at what a horrible situation LSU football was in when Saban was hired.

Bama will have considerable difficulty finding a top notch, proven coach. They are going to have to probably roll the dice on a coach that is looking to step up a notch. The NCAA sanctions and rumors of possible future problems will probably be enough to scare off the top of their short list.

I think Saban has shown the rest of the country what potential LSU has as a program and a recruiting base.

Bama, on the other hand, is in a deep hole now that is going to be difficult to dig out of. I said this on another thread and I truly believe it. Bama's football success this season has a lot to do with the fact that they could not play for the championship or a bowl game. How often is it that the team in any sport that has nothing to gain plays lights out...happens all the time. Bama seemed to have that attitude this season. They couldn't win the conference, the NC, go to a bowl game, or whatever, so they were completely loose and played well...NO PRESSURE. The only game that there was really considerable pressure was the Iron Bowl, which they lost.

I don't believe that this is one of those times when Bama will attract a top name coach just because they're Bama....There's too much extra baggage attached right now. But Bama will be a good situation for a no-name coach out to make a name for himself.

BamaFan....oops, I mean LSUFan:) , was there a time when the name Bama recruited itself...YES....but I think that time is gone considering all that's happened. They're going to have to work hard for it like the rest of us now.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

OK under Saban

Just how many ranked teams did LSU beat this year ?

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

nm

I had a long response here, but removed it . . . I just don't care that much about this. Atleast not as much as I did when I first heard about Fran leaving. As I see it, we disagree in that I feel this will not destroy the Bama program and I feel national prestige will be a factor in deciding who the next coach is.

I am an LSU fan, but also a fan of the SEC. I don't hate other schools, or have to feel we are the absolute best. I graduated from LSU and that is where my loyality stays. I respect the Bama program and actually liked Bear. That doesn't make me less of fan or a "Bama fan".

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I agree with your sentiments TigerFan

Maybe just not to the extent you expressed them.

BAMA will continue to field good teams. The loss of ships will hurt but BAMA finds a way to get things done on the field. I don't think they will win any SEC championships for several years however.

I think that keeping Saban is an absolute must. Our record of hiring coaches as not pretty. The Rein tragedy is somewhat to blame, but we have only had 2 quality (imv) coaches since Cholly Mac was pushed out the door. A long relationship with Saban is necessary to improve the perceived stability of the program.

7. BamaBengal

BamaBengal Founding Member

Props

to LSUfan for the insightful post. Believe me, Bama will continue to win but it may be harder in the short term. Coach Fran, like most coaches these days, runs the team like a business. Tell me, how many universities are loyal to their coaches? They speak the same language. Win now or your out. The coaches feel like hey, I've won now so yeah, I'm out: for bigger money. Loyalty? Perhaps what hurts the Bama natin is the way Caoch Fran left, yes, he had all the support in the world over there but to talk about trust and loyalty and then tell the asst. coaches to tell the players he left, well, that's out & out interesting! We believed him and now he's gone. I for ne wish him the best as he has his family to think about but we definatley want a coach who wants to be there.

8. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

One last thing . . . In the response that I removed I had mentioned something that has been completely avoided here and I would like to see what you guys think (from all fans of the SEC, not just LSU).

Are there others here sick of hearing the the SEC is in a down year?

Just because FLOR and TENN had poor years, people consider the SEC in a down cycle. That is an insult to every SEC West school. I for one, want every SEC West school to be competive and better. It will only help LSU and other SEC West schools, that is unless you like to hear that LSU can only be good when the SEC is down. Listen to any college football expert and they will say that the SEC was weak this year (and they started saying it last year . . . when we won the SEC). If ALA, AUB, ARK, and LSU play well, beat the SEC East schools and finish highly ranked, we will see a shift of power in the SEC. Until then, be prepared to have every good SEC West acomplishment with an asterik next to it that says "the SEC was in a down year". If Ark wins like LSU did last year, it will only be get worse. Is that fair or right? Do you believe that? Because they said after LSU beat Tenn last year. I didn't care, we were in the Sugar. But even during the Sugar, they mentioned how the SEC was weaker than in other more recent seasons. What an insult to he SEC West, and LSU.

If ALA gets a crappy coach and under performs, that will not help the SEC West or LSU nationally. I am tired of hearing how bad the SEC has been, because Flor and Tenn didn't play well. I say they are being replaced by a stronger WEST conference . . . the experts, poll voters, and general casual college fans don't see it that way. When LSU, ARK, ALA, or AUB plays well, it can only be because the SEC is a weak conference. When those teams have poor records, the SEC is strong (hence Flor and TEnn with good records).

Just curious to see what you guys think. Is this true? Haven't we heard for two years now that the SEC is weak and been in a down cycle? Does anyone else think that the SEC West is weak conference, because Flor and Tenn are in down years? I'm sure this upsets Georgia fans and pobably other SEC schools who have gotten better while Tenn and Flor play worse. LSU for one, did not play in a weak conference the last two years. Ark, ALA, Aub, Ole Miss, and MissST; are much better the last few seasons (well, not MissST) than before. A power shift is happening in the SEC, and I don't see it as a fluke . . . the WEST is getting better, if not the stronger of the two conferences.

9. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I think BAMA's troubles helped the "down year" critics as well. The media tastemakers are not prepared to believe that anyone in the SEC outside of UF, UT, or BAMA is capable of competing for a NC. These folks assume(and they have been right for 15 years unfortunately) that LSU will always have at least 3 losses or a big blowout loss or two when the season is over.

That is what made this season somewhat disappointing. After thumping Florida on the road and spanking USC with our first time starter at QB we moved into the top ten and were looking like the dominant team that was going to shut up these media blowhards. DJ left (I will never forgive him), Auburn spooked Randall and we were back were we often find ourselves: a good team but not an elite team.

10. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

we did not run Gene Stallings out of town. He left because he wanted to spend more time with his Downs Syndrome son. He retired on good terms with the Bama faithful. He is still highly respected among the bama nation. I just wanted to set that record straight. Its not meant to be a flame.