Its Time for Predictions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It was Jarvis Landry who suggested to Cam that they run that play because it had worked well in practice and the only other time they had run it during the season. Landry ran a route to act as a decoy and draw the double coverage and Dural was wide open. Kudos to AJ for the accurate pass but it was Cam who was the master of that drive by giving the inexperienced Jennings only a single option on each play called. If Dural had been covered I'm sure that AJ had been told to throw the ball away rather than look for second and third options like Mett would have been free to do had he been in the game.

Still, with another year under Cameron's tutelage and with his natural athletic ability lets hope that either he or Brandon Harris will play like a real SEC quarterback starting on August 30 against the CheeseHeads.

ParadiseiNC and LSUDad like this.
  2. LSUBraveheart

LSUBraveheart Veteran Member

I agree with this. Jenny looked uncomfortable and confused in both the Iowa Bowl Game and the Spring Game as well.

Mark Richt isn't stupid. There's a reason he didn't offer Jennings a scholarship.

Harris shows potential/promise, (And really needs a RS year) but since Les ran off the two backups because they couldn't run fast enough, he's gonna be thrown into the fire raw.

Miles has made his bed and now has to sleep in it.

I predict 8-4 this year with both Jennings and Harris getting injured. They'll both have trouble reading defenses/finding secondary receivers/going through progressions and as a result will get "Happy Feet" and try to run too much. One or both of them are going to get popped and injured. Eventually, the Tigers will be down to Bergeron, Foster or Clise.

Better hope and pray that Fournette is the second coming of Walker or Jackson and that Jeff Grimes is an Offensive Line technique Miracle Worker.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Might want to do a little homework there. Yep there is a reason Richt didn't offer, he only signed one for the 2013 class, an the one he signed had been committed for a while, since 2011.

I don't know about the running off, kids see their spots being taken by younger players, all the time thinking they are better. Les and Cam give all the same shot, same with every position. LSU is an "Equal Opportunity Team." Been that way. LSU has played more true Freshmen than most every school in the Nation, an will continue. If you are better, you beat out someone, you play.

The 8-4 prediction, don't know, Les and the staff has had 4 straight years of 10 or more wins, not easy to do. I like to go with the odds.

I know this, Les has one of the better coaching staffs in all of college football, just ask, I have. I also know coaches that have good jobs, but every time an opening comes up at LSU, they put their name in the hat. Its known that Les is one of the better coaches to work under in all of college football. Having a Cam, Chief, Peveto, etc. on a staff pays off.

I've seen more football than most over the years, I haven't seen many that comes close to LF in La. over the years. I could rattle off a number of backs I've seen over the years, not many are even close to him. When people I know use the names Peterson, Faulk, etc it's not many times those names get used, an for good reason. I look back at this past years forgotten man, Magee, moved over to WR and lost. Cam moved him in a position to help, he saw what many couldn't, a guy that can play the position. The kid led the team with 7.3 ypc, second on the team in total rushing yards.

As for the OL, I like to keep an eye on these guys. I see 4 of 5 returning, an that's great. I see a OL Coach coming in that's starting to make a change. He's hit the ground recruiting and it's paying off. Grimes is known as a very good OL coach and has played under some the better coaches in college and Pro. Getting him was not easy. He spent one year at his last stop, Les had to convince not only him but his family. I know coaches, not easy to tell a wife and kids, that you've taken another job and the friends you made over the last year, you have to leave behind. Wives try an settle in to make a house a home, then walk in and tell them, you have to move?
    Keeping an eye on the past Spring game, the OL looks to be in great shape, I can see some of Grimes coming into play. I see 4 players that could all be playing in that lone spot left by Turner, that's great. LSU only has to replace 1 guy off the line from last year, Tenn is left with replacing all starting 5 from last year, I'm sure they would love to have the 3 guys that will be sitting on the bench this year, waiting for the time to come into a game at LSU.

As for "Offensive Line technique Miracle Worker," I don't see that at all, Turner got drafted into the NFL after only starting a year and a half (Only 20 games started) at LSU. I see LSU as having one of the top three OL's in all of college football this year. That same OL last year allowed a QB to throw for over 3,000 yds., two WR's with over 1,100 yds. each and a RB with over 1,400 yds. Having La'el return this year is major, he and Hawk are both very good OT's. The three guys I see fighting over the lone spot on the line, Hoko, Washington, Pocic and Boutte. In the Fall and once the season starts, I'll get a better feel for this line, but I see more depth than ever at LSU with the players we have.

Since 2001, LSU has only had 5 OL drafted into the NFL. I could see 5 getting drafted in the next 2-3 years, thats what we have now at LSU.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

What a sunny prediction--the tone of this paragraph almost sounds like you want Jennings and Harris to get injured so you can say "I told you Miles messed up the QB position."

Perhaps that isn't the case, but it certainly sounds like it to me. Before Mett was injured last year, when was the last time LSU lost one QB, let alone TWO, to injury? Andrew Hatch (Ivy Leaguer) six years ago? Our line will protect these guys, and they aren't made of freakin' glass anyway. They are tough football players.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You are a depressing sob.

ParadiseiNC, didit and StaceyO like this.
  6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Defense will be improved. Two of the best young corners in the SEC. LB'ing core led by Alexander will be improved. D line has solid edge guys and may need improvement up the middle.

Our Oline might be the best in the nation. Fournette has probably the most talent that we've seen since Cecil the Diesel. WR's are young but boatloads of talent. Dupre and Quinn could be come "Beckam and Landry" part 2. That's saying a lot.

ST's - will be solid.

The only unfortunate thing is at every level teams rarely get by with major ??? at the most important position...QB. Harris has tons of potential and Jennings reminds me of ....ah nevermind it will send everyone into a tizzy. The only thing in our favor is I really like Cam as our DC and his development at the position.

2011 we won with a mediocre QB most of the year but maybe the best defense in NCAA history. This year we don't have that.

The youth at the QB position will bring us to an 8-4 season. 2015 looks to be incredibly bright.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Matt Mauck, Hatch, Mettenberger and Lee were all lost with season-ending injuries. Jefferson missed games with injuries. Quarterbacks do get hurt in this league.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I realize that QBs can be hurt in the SEC. However, "Braveheart" was writing like he hopes they both go down with injuries.

It's not likely that both will get hurt.

TigerTap likes this.
  9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

seems like 2 losses is the best bet every year.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Damn you know I never thought of that, pretty good point. And we can't say all were completely drop backs, although Mauck and Flynn were white dudes they ran particularly well.