Ivan Maisel shows his genius again...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bigbully, Jan 20, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i tried explaining this to caddi a few time yet he has to be optimisitic as would I. After this year's defensive showing, he has reason to be....but next year i think it catches up to them. Losing Thomas and Dansby 2 years ago and now the complete core of the offense is gone.

Look for their defense to have to win games for them which won't happen due to too many minutes on the field and points on the scoreboard.

at least that's my view....and hope. :thumb: :thumb:

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We were saying the same thing last year.
    "We've got Jamarcus Russell, god's gift to football QB's even though nobody has seen him play!"
    "our WR's will develop regardless of whether they played more than 2 downs a game last year or not!"
    "Most of our defense returns! Who cares if Jack Hunt, the defense leader, leaves!"

Their team will flop, and even worse than LSU did this year IMO.

3. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Which games do you feel that Auburn will certainly lose, which ones do you feel they will be competitive in, yet still lose, and which games do you think that they will win? Only 10 games are listed as Southern Miss pulled out. A new opponent has not yet been determined. Personally, I see 5 games that might go either way: GT, SC, LSU, Ga., Bama. Auburn could look very good or very average, but hey, that's why they settle it on the field.

Sept. 3 GEORGIA TECH AUBURN Sept. 10 MISSISSIPPI STATE AUBURN Sept. 17 BALL STATE AUBURN Oct. 1 SOUTH CAROLINA AUBURN Oct. 15 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark. Oct. 22 at LSU Baton Rouge, La. Oct. 29 OLE MISS AUBURN Nov. 5 at Kentucky Lexington, Ky. Nov. 12 at Georgia Athens, Ga. Nov. 19 ALABAMA AUBURN

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

No doubt that Caddy is a great player, but AU is very deep at RB, even with the loss of both Williams and Brown. Caddy got all the pub – and rightfully so – so most folks don’t hear much about the remaining talent. I suspect we’ll miss Caddy on special teams more than on the offense though, based upon his ’04 performances. But the real loss will be Campbell – that’s why I stated that AU needed to develop a QB for next season. If Borges can get Booker or Cox up to speed (or both), the AU offense will be just a shade below that of ’04, IMO.

Defense is very, very solid on the front seven. Loss of Rosegreen won’t be missed due to the ’03-’04 safety recruits. The loss of Carlos Rogers will be felt at CB (why I stated we need to develop a CB) We’ve got several that look like they can handle the job, but I want to see them against the #1 WR’s before I form an opinion. It’s JMO, but I don’t believe there is a single team on the schedule that will be able to run against the AU Defense next season. But passing….that could be a different story. Like you state, that’s why they play the games. :thumb:

Auburn goes 9-1 or, with a little luck, maybe 10-1 in 2005. We draw LSU and Georgia on the road ….tough games even in the best of years. AU gets Bama at home and will wear them out, as usual.

5. abear58

abear58 Freshman

I agree about Maisel. He's a tool for both USuC and Auburn. He lives in California and he's from Alabama. He's on Finebaum every week during the season and they always talk about the good old days in Bama and how he's lost his accent since leaving. Also, when LSU was making it's run in 2003, he gave them no respect. I looked at his preseason Top 25 for that season, which he presents on ESPN.com every year and he had LSU nowhere in his top 25. You see where guy's like this are coming from? It's not that he had it in for LSU last year. By LSU making it to the championship game and winning it, what does it say for his credibility as a college football "expert". IMHO, that is why he dissed LSU last year. He didn't even have them in the top 25 for crying out loud.

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

A Hawkeye fan on Maisel....

He picked us in his top 15 (September) saying "Ferentz will produce a top 15 club regardless of the talent base".

Then in "For Argument's sake" when we were 2-2 after the Michigan loss, he used a "mulligan" to say he had us way over-rated and, afterall, Ferentz was only human. ("This is not a very good football team".)

Then, when we finished 8-2, he said, "This was Ferentz's best coaching job, but with the country's worst running game, this is, at best, an Alamo Bowl team, not a CapOne team". (that one hurt!)

If it wasn't for that clown, Trev Alberts, we could concentrate all our venom on Maisel.

:cuss: :cuss:

7. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Sorry but I really have to disagree. Junior Rosegreen was a great player and will be missed sorely. Tony Bell is a very good player but he will not step in and be as good as Junior was in his senior year. Junior and Carlos were the leaders of that defense. Jason was the leader of the offense. Anytime you lose the leaders of the team on both sides of the ball, its going to hurt.

I don't want to see Auburn fans have too high of expectations, because you can't expect a season like we just had every year. LSU fans got torched last year because they were so overly-confident about every game following their National Championship. (I'm sure even LSU fans can agree with me on that one.)

My prediction next season for us is 8-3 in the regular season. We can easily win 10 or easly only win 7. It's all a matter of how well our QB's and secondary develop.

8. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I see Auburn losing to LSU and UGA.

Arkansas you never know....same goes with Tech and maybe even Miss St. who shocked Florida last year.

Spurrier at USC makes me wonder too