I've got two things to say about this

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sophandros, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Sophandros

Sophandros Freshman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/10/01/nfl_minority_ap/

Yes, the record is pathetic. But what can the league do? They can't force owners to change their behaviour. People hire who they are comfortable with, and that is the issue. Sure, it bugs the hell out of me when I see guys who have no business running a team or being on a roster when someone else should be given a shot. Is it overtly racist? In 99% of the cases, probably not. However, one has to ask why certain qualified candidates are passed over. Before Dungy was hired by the Bucs, for example, the excuse was that, while he was an excellent coordinator, he was too cerebral. No one wants a cerebral HC, I guess. I've yet to hear a good reason why Sherm Lewis or Marvin Lewis haven't gotten jobs, while some teams have gone to POSITION coaches to fill their head coaching positions. That makes no sense whatsoever. And why isn't Art Shell a head coach right now?

2. Tigre

Tigre Founding Member

This snub

made the hiring of Denny Green all the more funny. I can imagine the look on Mr. Wonderful's face that day. He swore he would not support the Vikings until Green, the Malcolm X of the NFC IMO, left town. He is now back in his purple and gold Starter jacket and Zubazz pants, but I have on a tip that the Twins have a hot shot Korean who they'll look to give a shot at the manager's spot. Now all we have to do is get a Latino coaching the T-Wolves and his life will be truly miserable!!!!!

3. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Founding Member

I do not divide my support!

I am 100% Minnesota Twins fan, 100% of the time! Denny Green, Les Steckel, I mean Mike Tice, or whoever is coaching one of the other professional teams in town means nothing to this long-time Twinatic! Yes, I would have preferred that Kirby Puckett replaced Tom Kelly, but Kirby is in the front-office, when not in court.
    And on the subject of minority hirings. Let me be the first to remind you that I was the first to call for a black head men's basketball coach at LSU and I think if anyone other than Pookie gets the women's job when Coach Sue retired in 15-20 years, I think that will be the biggest travesty in all of sports! Take that to TNT and tell the enigma to chew on it!

4. Tigre

Tigre Founding Member

Sir, quit this incessant lying

I remember speaking to you right after the Vikings drafted Culpepper. You expressed great concern that, in your own words, "a negro(e) wouldnt be able to handle the complicated Viking offense" and that you just hoped "he could complete a 5 yard out and not screw up the handoffs". And for months after you kept claiming that he would make a great tight end. Sir, didn't Arthur Ashe prove anything to you? What about former great black QB's Andre Ware or LSU great Tedrick Knightshead? You lying SOB!!!! The more I think about it, the more infuriated I get. For years you claimed blacks had no place in MLB because you said "they couldnt hit the curveball" and would "create chemistry problems when they stole from other players lockers"> Sir, if you knew anything about MLB you would know that it is Puerto Ricans and Dominicans who steal from teammates, not African-Americans (a term which causes you great discomfort). Mr. Wonderful, they are here to stay and they will succeed in every walk of life. The civil rights movement has been going on for over 40 years, yet it is obvious that the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr have not reached your ears!!!! YOU SIR ARE THE MAN REV. JESSE JACKSON PREACHES ABOUT!!!! BTW, I saw two "mudsharks" at the BP yesterday. I had to chuckle.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Re: I do not divide my support!

Congratulations on your trip to the ALCS. I'm just sorry ya'll don't get to pound the Yankees once you get there. Life would be perfect if that happened.

By the way, what are your thoughts on Bud Selig and this whole contraction thing? :) ;)