JahRussell vs Flynn?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by texascajun, Jul 1, 2003.

1. texascajun

texascajun Founding Member

I know there are alot of BAMA on this messageboard. So they probably can attest to the greatness that is Russell. Has anyone in Texas seen Flynn play? I hear he is maybe just as good, just not as dynamic as Russell (which is good, because dynamic usually goes pro early) Some seem to think he can push Russell for the job. Was Flynn the top rated quaterback in Texas? Has anyone seen Russell play in person? Holler back.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Not sure about all the answers to the above, but apparently Francione put huge pressure on Flynn when he took control of A&M. But flynn never back down from pledge to LSU, which is what I like! But I have heard he will definitely turn some heads in Practice.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I am not 100% sure if Flynn was the top QB out of Texas but he was deffinatly one of the top ones. You got to remember that Texas is a huge state with lots of great atheletes from all corners. As of right now both have the potential to be great QB's for LSU. Having great competition only makes everyone else raise their level of play and that is exactly what LSU needs at the position of QB. We all saw how that effects running backs, we have an awesome core of backs with 3 guys that alll could be worthy of starting.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I saw him play here in the State Playoffs here in Texas Stadium.
    Dont rule this kid out, he is big and has a big arm. He team lost but he really shined.

Also, this kid has shown some grit during the process, the whole Russell/Lane thing and the fact That idiot from A&M was doing some dirty recruiting on him. He stood tall and stayed a Tiger. When asked about the QBs coming to LSU he said, he is ready to compete.
    He appears to have a great head on his shoulders...

5. texascajun

texascajun Founding Member

I agree that these two QB's could really be something special for the future of LSU. Add the trio of awesome incoming WR's to the mix and man am I excited!!! Texastigers from Carrollton, ever get any stuff from BayouBoys on 121? The guy who owns it is from Kaplan. Know any good cajun eateries besides Pappadeaux's in the DFW area?

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I think we could have a group of QB's comparable to the Nall, Booty, and Davey group. All 3 of those guys are in the NFL now. Nall is now poised to be the one to take over for Farve when he finishes up. That is pretty awesome when at one point we had three future NFL'ers at a single position such as QB.

7. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

I can't confirm this as fact, but I recall hearing on sports talk radio here in Austin quite some time ago (afternoon drive time show is known to be wrong every now and then) that Matt Flynn as a Junior won Player of the Year honors over Seniors Vincent Young and Reggie McNeal, Texas and Texas A&M's prize recruits respectively for the 2002 recruiting class.

Factor that in with his unwavering commitment, and I'd say he'd have a chance to compete for a starting job anywhere!

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

With the great things mentioned about Russell, I would hope he could get some early playing time this year to gain experience in case Mauck/Randall struggle later in the SEC games and then Flynn could red-shirt. If Russell is as good as advertised (NFL after a couple of years), Flynn could be the starter as a sophmore, his third year in the program.

Also, I'm rooting for Nall in GB but I saw they just traded for Akili Smith and there are also a couple of other QBs with talent. Is Nall entrenched as the backup or is their still competition for that spot?

9. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I go with Flynn from what I have watched and read on the kid. He looks like the complete deal with a good arm, great head, and good speed. I think he will surprise.

10. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

If you think about it, Saban offered Flynn at the camp in june of last year, so Saban must of been impressed. The other guy offered was Zenon, from what I know. I don't know of any players this year that Saban outright offered. I'm sure that maybe there was some that no one knows about, but we'll see. I just hope one is red shirted either way.