JahRussell vs Flynn?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by texascajun, Jul 1, 2003.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Nall was in NFL Europe, and he was the top QB in the league, and impressed a lot of people, and he will be given a chance to compete for the #2 spot with doug pederson and Akili Smith.

As far as the QB's go, I get the impression that Russell is the more polished, intelligent passing QB type, while Flynn is the better Athlete. Should be very interesting.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I think a big reason for whether Russell or Flynn start over Mauck, barring injury or whatever, will be if the running game and OL are working well. I would rather see Flynn in their if Wilkerson and company have trouble making holes and the QB is given less time. But if everything is working, Russell may be the better choice.

I like Flynn though...

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its amazing that DiNardo had 3 QBs at the same time who are all now in the NFL and couldn't win with any of them.

4. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

BUT the one he did win with...now plays for the Houma Bucks...very strange...

5. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

I watched Nall play one game in Europe and he was very impressive. The commentators were speaking the world of the kid. I think he earned Offensive player of the week that week or the week before. He was like very accurate and smart with his passes. He made it look easy, he actually kinda looked like Farve out there. I think he will be an up and comer in the NFL, and if Favre ever gets hurt, he'll have a chance to prove it. :lsug:

6. SeN-SaTioN

Who else was at that NIKE camp with Russell? Did Flynn participate? Were there any other big name QBs there?

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Hey Eleven,
    I guess you're talking about 'ole Herb. Is that some sort of arena team that he's playing for? I think those teams had some success because of Morris Watts. A decent replacement could've kept Dinardo around longer but maybe it was a blessing in disguise because we're obviously better off with Saban. Was it McConnell or something that replaced Watts? I'm pretty sure he had never been an OC on the college level and had only coached WR's. There were rumors that year that every team we played could tell whether we were going to run or throw before the snap (based on how our O-Line would get in their stance).

8. SeN-SaTioN

I think Dinardo's downfall was when he decided to hire his long time friend Lou Tepper as defensive coordinator! I remember the fans hating this guy, they were taunting him at games. I even remember the cheers of, "Lou must go! Lou must go!" at some games. He supposedly wrote some book on linebacking or something, but in my opinion he sucked and was a big reason why Dinardo got the door.

How did Lou Tepper even earn a job as LSU's defensive coordinator?

Illinois fired him in 1996 with a year left on his contract and a record of 25-31-2, including three bowl games.
    Now he's coaching at some small Divison II school. "I don't think I'll be fired here because I don't win," Tepper said of Edinboro. "I think it's more likely I could get fired if I do something else wrong."

Here's a little review of Lou's book:
    The "Reader" from Baton Rouge (January, 27, 2001)and "klabbath" seem to take joy in calling LSU (Which Finished #7 Nationally in 2001)a "Lower echelon team". Which is interesting as LSU is Always a Perennial Top 20 team. Tepper's book is not for a Linebacker playing the game in today's world. Lou Tepper took an LSU Program fresh off a Bowl Win over Notre Dame, highly ranked before the season, and proceeded to Produce The Worst Defensive team LSU has EVER fielded. He was fired as the Head Coach at Illinois and an internet site called S.A.L.T (Students Against Lou Tepper)was formed while he was at Illinois. Two examples of How Tepper's Book/Philosiphy do not work: 1)ANY Coach in America knows better than to line you DBs up 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. 2) Real Coaches do NOT line up a LB'er with 4.8 speed (Recruited specifically by Lou Tepper)to cover a 4.3 Wide Receiver. Tepper once claimed Florida was using an "Exotic Offense"(??), while back in Reality, he had the DBs Backpeddling downfield& Florida would simply toss the ball 10 yards or less, and since the DBs were already lined up 10 yards behind the Line of Scrimmage,& backpeddling to boot, it resulted in a 20 yard gain. This lasted all game, with NO adjustments. His Infamous "Drop Linebacker" Position does not work. A Drop Linebacker is a Glorified Safety, that must possess Wide Receiver speed, yet be able to cover the Run up the Middle& Corner contain. In the SEC, that is a 240-250 Lbs LB'er with Legitimate 4.3 Speed. How many LB'ers have you seen with that Weight& Speed? Exactly. About those Player Stances in the book, *Several* High Profile SEC coaches quipped that these Silly stances Tepper devised, always gave away the Defensive scheme away. Lou Tepper is currently Losing at Division II Edinboro, Pa., with 5-6& 4-7 seasons. At least he is far, far away from Division I talent. *LSU under the guidance of Nick Saban who has NFL Defensive experience, finished the 2002 season with the #8 Ranked Defense in the Nation. #2 in Pass Defense.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Yeah, Tepper had that defense that took 3 years to implement. What's that all about? I think it was Jamal Hill that was the LB trying to cover all the WR's. Hell, maybe it wasn't all Thomas Dunson's fault. Our offense was pretty good in Tepper's first year. I think that was the last year Watts was here. Is that correct?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Bringing up Lou Tepper is like remembering 9/11. The pain, the pain....