Jake Tompkins to start Friday's game - opinions good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, May 28, 2003.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I think if Jake can return to late season form from last year LSU will be sitting pretty. I heard Turtle Thomas announce this on WWL 870 tonight. Anybody know what the rotation will be after that?

I think Smoke is rolling the dice with Jake. I just hope they don't come up snake eyes. I believe Smoke thinks LSU has the offensive firepower to overcome any troubles Jake could potentially have and that is probably true.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Starting Jake will work against Northeastern and save the meat of the starting rotataion for Tulane

3. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Jake is a great pitcher. It will be good for him to get some playing time. We have plenty enough bats to get through Northeastern. Who knows!!! If Jake is 100%... , he could be a major factor in the CWS.

4. Wilson

Wilson Freshman

It's like this. If we are going to win the CWS, then we are gonna need Jake's best. Better start now, hell yes pitch him against NE, is the alternative to pitch him against Tulane? I'm very pleased with Smoke Laval as a decision maker and fundamentals coach. How good is he at motivating the kids to a championship? Beyond Mestepey he doesn't have a lot of Sr. leadership to lean on. If we get beat it'll be a game where we just didn't bring it. Chances are Smoke won't boot any calls.

5. Starting Tompkins against the weakest team in the regional saves our pitching for for anything else that might happen. Our bats should be able to carry the weight, and if not I am sure there will be a quck hook.

Besides, all of LSU's previous runs have hinged on a pitcher really stepping in from the shadows during the postseason. Maybe Smoke sees something that tells him this is Jake's time.

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Turtle was having trouble deciding between starting Tompkins or me

I'm a little ticked I didn't get the nod against the Huskies:cuss: :angry: :cuss:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

H2O is right on the money. Northeastern is not a good hitting team. This is a good spot to put Tompkins in.

8. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

This should be the pitching rotation:

Game 1: Start Bo Pettit
    Game 2: Start Bo Pettit
    Game 3: Start Bo Pettit
    Game 4: Start Bo Pettit

Why? Because Bo Pettit is THE MAN!

9. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I know that we have a lots of baseball left or hope so anyway. Question and then comment/thought. What does the team look like for next season if no one opts out early? I have not seen a player listing.

Consider this:
    91, 93, 96, 97, 00, (03?) 3/yr span from 93-96, 97-00 3/yr span. 00-03 3/yr span. Could it be in 03-04 with back2back titles again? Just a thought!

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I didn't think the 2000 team was good enough to win it all but they did it with a great come from behind win over Stanford's 2 ace pitchers in the title game. If they can keep the bats red hot and get consistent pitching who knows