JaMarcus Russel does better in a hurry?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Contained Chaos, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

When I think back on this previous season, it seems like JR was always at his best when it was crunch time. That would be the 1st and last games of the year. He seems to do really well w/o the huddle...otherwise he's completely erratic. Any theories on this? Does the hurry-up offense not depend on the academic aspect nearly as much? Or is it better if he has less time to think (paralysis by analysis)?

2. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

He played very well in two games(OSU,Iowa) when LSU really needed a spark. He will only get better....

JR would have won the Cap One bowl MVP if the defense................................................

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

There could be some truth to that, he wouldn't be the first QB that operated better in a hurry up. But it also helps when the defense can't run players in and out and there is confusion on that side as well.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The same thing was said about Marcus Randall. Saban said he thought the reason Randall did better with the hurry up offense is because he wasn't thinking about it, he was just using his natural abilities to make plays and was able to use his confidence.

I think a QB's confidence is very important on the field. Jamarcus Russell obviously started having some doubts about his abilities, as we saw him "trying to aim the ball" and thus throwing it at people's feet throughout the season.

When you're in a hurry, you aren't thinking about what can go wrong or what the defense can throw at you. I think that JR, just like many young QBs, got into a funk where he actually overanalyzed (not that he just didn't watch tapes or couldn't read defenses) and wasn't able to play to his potential because of it. When it came crunch time, there is no time to analyze the situation - you just have to believe in yourself and make the plays. I don't think it was so much the hurry offense as it was JR's mentality about getting it done & not thinking it through so much.

5. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

MR was a fifth year senior............ while JR was a redshirt Freshman.

I think JR will continue to improve much like RO did during his playing days at LSU.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Let's hope he does better when his back is against the wall because when LSU losses its first game next year (well, if we do lose) expect the RP fans to come out in full-drive asking for RP to solve everyone's problems.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

"Crunch Time" is best for Russell because he can get the job done with natural talent. In a short burst he is the most talented kid on the field. Russell made a name for himself in high school (like many kids do) because of his superior talent. JaMarcus Russell had better get his mind right. Running an offense throughout the course of an entire game requires a great deal more than talent. If he commits his mind to it he can learn to be a better, more complete QB. He showcased his athletic brilliance on a few occasions last year, but he must become a more cerebral field general to lead this team under all circumstances.

To me, "crunch time" is like a sprint - if we all ran 100 yards it would be easy to establish who was the "fastest," but if we all ran 4 miles, well then we establish who the "best" runner is...

8. BB

BB Founding Member

Would these be the same people who were asking for Russell and Flynn to solve everyone's problems last year?

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I am sure they just may be....

10. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

Well...everything is simplier when you are in the hurry up. The routes are simpler and you don't have to think as much. The problem with JR is that he thinks too much and is afraid of making a mistake. Go out there and play ball and he will be an LSU great.