JaMarcus Russel does better in a hurry?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Contained Chaos, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

Well what my high school coach told me was that it should be all muscle memory. I played CB in high school and I would just have to apply my reads as quickly as possible, whether it was pass or run, deep or short, if the guy cleared out of my zone etc. Granted, I don't have to make the reads a QB has to make, but JR should be coached until it becomes second nature. This is probably one of the hardest things to do, but with enough coaching it will happen.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think this boils down to the defense being limited in making substitutions, changing play calls and being winded.

When an offense is no huddle, the defense more often than not ends up in their base defense, something that JR would be very familiar with from a week's worth of practicing against. There is a HUGE difference knowing what coverage the defense is playing before the snap versus having to make the read after the play starts. If he knows what they are playing, he can concentrate on his receivers instead of reading where the defensive players are going.

Plus, the defensive players do alot more running than the offensive guys. It's 11 guys to the ball on defene but if a run is going away from a receiver, he can save a little energy while the DB is running all out. Then the next play, the WR should have an advantage over the tired DB.

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I think it all boils down to whether JR sits down and plants his ass in the tape room and studies like Peyton Manning does every week. We all know that JR has the physical tools to win.....the mental aspect in the end to win....and so forth....but can he learn from his mistakes and get better?

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

he damn well better if he doesn't want to fade into obscurity. from what i hear, flynn is hella studious. and they say the same things about RP as well.

damn...what a great problem to have. 3 outstanding QB's.