Jamarcus Russell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Leaf was a flake but I think also had a significant shoulder injury suffered during his 1st or 2nd year in the NFL that never fully recovered. If he would've been picked ahead of Peyton (rather than after), the bust label would've been even worse for him.

I don't have much sympathy for JaMarcus and his 30+ million. He's still only 25 so theoretically has time to get his life together before his skills erode. If I was given that much cash at the age of 21, I would still have some self pride to do my job but could see how it could take away from your work ethic. For example, more opportunities to travel in the off-season, make a couple of trips to Vegas, etc. When you have that many options, it can be hard for a 21 yr old kid to have the dedication necessary to succeed at the hardest position in all of sports.

2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

In all due respect, which means I can say anything I want and can't be judged for (at least in Talladega Nights) I am sick of hearing how big a bust Jamarcus is being a number one pick and all, but really the bigger bust is the Raider franchise.

Robert Gallery, #2 overall pick in 2004, is another bust by the organization because no one drafts a guard in the first round. To RG’s credit, he has worked and started somewhere on the team, lesson to be learn hear JR.
    Michael Huff, #7 overall in 2006, can’t cover or tackle, but playing a lot better lately.
    Fabian Washington, #23 overall in 2005, average.
    Darrius Heyward-Bey, #7 overall in 2009, fast, can’t catch.

From his lack of work, Jamarcus deserves his fate, but Lane Kiffin drafted him, and frankly who has he made better in the QB position, and left. Then there is Tom Cable, two words you will never hear describing him, “offensive wizard.” The offensive line was horrid, too, and Jamarcus is not the most mobile QB. Heck, Cable pulled Jason Campbell because he was getting killed and they had to move to the mobile QB, Gradkowski. Jamarcus was never going to succeed in the Raider organization, ever.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Ok, so what about the horrible showings he had at Miami and Washington? If he was serious about playing football, he could have gotten on with one of those teams. Instead he shows up @ nearly 300lbs to each of those teams to work out and embarrasses himself. A canon for an arm by itself isn't enough. He's lazy and content with where he is and nobody will touch him because of it. I suspect when the money runs out, he'll try arena football or maybe one of the out-of-country leagues, if they'll even touch him. Hell there's always the WWF I suppose.. :D

And understand, nobody's taking anything away from what JR contributed to LSU. The years he played for the Tigers were some of my favorite as a season ticket holder. It pissed me off to see him turn out like this, because trust me I talked a lot of smack about how well he would do in the NFL whether with the raiders or another team. But the guy obviously has no desire whatsoever, to use the talent and athletic ability he has. As far as the NFL goes, he's poison. Like it or not, it's true.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Say what you like, but being such a bad apple that you are told to "leave town." That is brutal. Funny, but brutal.

hwr

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How come no one ever talks about Tim Couch. Wasn't he number 1 overall?

6. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

Sympathy? Why wouldn't JaMarcus be happy?

I sure as heck can't say the same. When I've earned $30-$40 million, my work is done (at any age). If I'm sitting on tens of millions of dollars in the bank, there is no way in hell I'm gonna waste 40 hours a week of my life pushing papers in some office, or working construction, or selling insurance, etc. I'd invest it with half a brain's worth of common sense, and spend the rest of my life doing nothing but whatever I love doing just for the fun and love of doing it.

The only real surprise to me in this story is that it is obvious that JaMarcus has zero love for football. Maybe he did once, when he was a kid or something. But now, he clearly doesn't give a damn about football. He busted his ass and did the work in high school and college ball to earn that #1 draft spot and big fat paycheck, and it seems that was all he wanted from football.

I only hope he had that half a brain's worth of common sense so that he can actually afford that life of luxury he is apparently planning on.

Oh, and as for the foreclosures meaning he's broke, that's not necessarily true. Not saying JaMarcus is a Donald Trump or anything, but Trump has managed to go bankrupt more than once and still be a bazillionaire. With some clever financial advising (and some good lawyers), it's not hard to be bankrupt without being "broke".

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

7. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

While others want to point to bigger busts, I think JaMarcus is the biggest bust in NFL history. I think the arrest puts him over the top. Additionally, it appears that simply talking to him convinces teams to stay away. Not a good sign. A sad tale.

GEAUX TIGERS

8. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Swerved, you are 100% right, it's on Jamarcus at Washington and Miami recently and that clearly shows to me he has no heart.

But did the Raider's do any research on him, talked to any coach see how to motivate him, the ole due diligence? I don't know, but I bet it stopped at Al Davis saying, "He can throw the ball 70 yards, we are taking him first." After the contract holdout, who in the Raider organization mentored him, Kiffin? My emphasis is that the Raider deserve a fair share of blame in ruining their first round pick.

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Dang, why'd you have to go and bring THAT up? :lol:

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I was listening to Mike & Mike this AM while getting dressed and they talked about JR for probably 5 minutes. Golic said he tipped the scales at close to 300 for his last workout.