Jamarcus Russell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Apr 14, 2011.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no need to take jamarcus' failure in the NFL so personally. he sucks, doesnt care and will be broke. its kinda sad if he was your kid i suppose. hes a bama boy anyhow.

you have to have that will to compete. I hate to lose at bowling, golf or rock paper scissors. many of these top athletes dont have that gene; they were just blessed and can get by with little effort.

drew brees is probably the most competitive person in the world which shows in everything he does. of course he was written off as a backup coming out of college so hes always had to prove himself. those are the guys you want if all else is equal.

jamarcus doesnt have that gene. you have to love football to last any significant amount of time in the nfl.

2. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

I don't know if he lacks a competitive gene. He might be very competitive but just feel like he won. Somewhere along the way, it seems like he decided he was competing with getting paid, and he busted his ass until he won at that.

But I sure do agree that he damn sure doesn't seem to care much about football. And the sad thing (for him, I would think) is that surely at some point in his youth he must have loved the game. Don't you think?

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no. ive seen lots of these super talented guys never give a phuck because they didnt have to compete. they were just that much better than everyone else. and when they reach the top level where everyone is good and the effort is needed to separate themselves, they cant do it because theyve never had to. i think jamarcus is one of those guys. it would take a miracle for him to get a trainer and workout regimen and bust his ass studying the game because he's probably never done that. and hes 25. that would take a drastic lifestyle change.

all that money just makes it that much harder. he will come to once hes broke but it will be too late.

1 person likes this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Jamarcus probably never had to work for anything until he got to college, where he probably didn't have to work hard. He lived off of his physical skills, and did nothing to elevate his game mentally. If you want to be a QB in the NFL, it's more mental. I remember people all the time talking about how when JR was at LSU how he couldn't read a defense, and got confused really easy.

Vince Young = Jamarcus Russell = Cam Newton

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I will DESTROY you at rock paper scissors. :cool:

6. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

I don't think of Vince Young as an NFL success story by any stretch, and I wouldn't even argue if he was called a bust. But comparing him to the stunning catastrophe that JaMarcus has become is, imo, a grave disservice.

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Maybe and maybe not. Sometimes folks get pushed into something just because of physical or mental tools--and they may or may not ever love what they do.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not just athletes. I've seen this in many disciplines, both artistic and scientific. The best and brightest prodigies coast through the lower levels so easy that when they reach a level that is all-prodigy they are unprepared in terms of study skills or practice intensity. Some get focused and work their way past it.

But others will plateau right there.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Sorry if off topic but I loved how the first QB from Texas to play in the Super Bowl (after numerous from La.) was the QB for the only Louisiana franchise. Brees wasn't recruited by the big TX schools in college either, which I'm sure added to his internal drive to succeed. Everyone has different life events that shape their mindset. I think (?) it was JaMarcus that had two uncles pass away shortly before training camp of his final NFL season that he was extremely close with.

I think an SI article mentioned how Brees demanded to be re-measured at his NFL combine after being listed as 5-11 and 7/8ths. He said he wouldn't leave until they measured him at 6 feet even. When he got benched with the Chargers, he would keep his helmet on and stand near the sidelines with an intense glare that he was ready to go back in (even if it was obvious that he was benched permanently for that game). Some personality traits that are rare and border on obnoxious definitely can aid development and performance.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I disagree. He has had Jordan Jefferson numbers in his games, and while the Titans won some alot of games with Vince as QB, their defense and Chris Johnson was why they won. Vince Young is a terrible quarterback, and an even worse person. Sound familiar?