JaMarcuss Russell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DallasLSU, Feb 3, 2003.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

When did he say he would make a decision? Any word out of Saban camp on what his trip was like? Anything huge come out of the weekend?

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I heard on the radio he plans on announcing his decision on the Countdown to Signing Day TV show on Wednesday night.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I think Saban pressed him to let him know something so he can deal with this Lane issue.

Lane is saying (according to a news report) he will no sign with LSU if they get Russell. He said "People think I'm backing out on them, but they're really backing out on me," Lane said. "They want JaMarcus and Matt Flynn. They still want me, but I've said it before, I'm not going to be part of a three-quarterback system."

(here is the entire article)
    http://www.theadvocate.com/stories/020203/spo_rabcol001.shtml

Personally, LSU is tinkering on a brink. If Lane goes to MLB and Russell picks FSU (Which I think he will do) we go Flynn.
    I like Flynn. THis guy has stuck through it all and stayed Solid, even with Franphoney spreading his Saban lies to him.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I notice every year that Bobby Bowden has some big name recruits commit to him on signing day. It has always been my opinion that these guys were private commits to him, but he likes them to wait.. . Why? Because he is a media glory hound and realizes that the media is more focused on recruiting on signing day then any other day of the year. That way - he looks like a hero to his school - and the media can praise him. It doesn't matter if you have a better class - he'll get the attention b/c he got them on signing day.

Why this is relevant is because I fear he is doing this with LSU recruit J. Russell and Auburn recruits E. Sims and A. Cromartie.

any comments . . agree disagree ??

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I think you make a great point Chuck. Makes sense, I think Russell is going to sign with FSU because of the log jam at QB and he has a better chance to be the "guy" at FSU and lets be honest FSU is no Youngstown State. They are one of the premier programs. (not that Auburn and LSU are not, but it is not like we are competing with Akron here)

I think Auburn has a bigger hill to climb with Sims then LSU does with Russell, because of Sims ties to FSU, If I read correctly his brother, and Father played there and his mother was an all-american Runner there. (I believe)

Bowden does like to get press....
    He is the antitheses of "Big southern Dummy"

6. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I certainly agree - Auburn has a much bigger hill with Cromartie and Sims than LSU has with Russell. Although I am pleased that the momentum is finally starterd. Since Friday we have landed 4 public commits - with 2 other press conferences today that could land us 3 more. Still won't be as highly rated as LSU's class - but I will be VERY pleased.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

i've always noticed that FSU always get's commitments last minute but never thought of it in the context you describe. Wouldn't surprise me but I think he does it for a different reason. Maybe he does have secret commitments and have them keep it quiet until signing day but I think he does that to avoid competition from another school. If a player goes ahead and commits to FSU other schools are not going to back-off and make BB and staff work harder to get the guy. As long as he's got that "secret" commitment and checks back with the player regularly to see he is not waivering then no extra work needed. Just my thought.

Another down and dirty reason could be they don't make their payments to the players until signing day!!!;) ;)

8. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Hub - you make excellent points . . keeping the pressure of from rival schools is probably a VERY big reason to do that. Its much harder to fight if you don't know who your enemy is.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Except...What's in it for the recruit? As stated earlier, it would be beneficial to Bowden to keep the commitment secret until the 11th hour, but does the recruit gain anything? Unless, of course, some under the table shenanigans are involved.

10. chuck

chuck Founding Member

the recruit gets to go on all of their visits - w/o tons of pressure to decommit . . .