Jambalaya for 100???

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by skeatingla, Apr 26, 2004.

1. skeatingla

skeatingla Freshman

Question for the board?

I know how to cook a Jambalaya that serves about 10. I have been asked to cook one that will need to serve about 100 people. Does anyone have a receipe for this quantity? I am having a little trouble with the amounts of the ingredients (i.e. amounts of rice/liquid). If anyone has a receipe and tips to give, I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks for the help...

skeatingla
    :geaux:

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is a recipe for serving 8 and what ingredient count you'd need to make it serve 100 (chicken and sausage jambalaya):

Jambalaya (Servings for 8)

1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
    1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
    3 green bell peppers, diced 2 onions, diced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    5 bay leaves
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 cup uncooked white rice

Place chicken and sausage in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is opaque and falls from the bone, 45 minutes. (I usually do this the night before and refrigerate to skim the fat.) Remove chicken and sausage, reserving broth. Shred chicken.

In a large pot over medium heat, cook bell pepper, onion and garlic until onion is translucent, adding reserved chicken broth if necessary. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, pepper sauce, cayenne, Worcestershire and bay leaves; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Stir the shredded chicken, sausage and tomato paste into the spiced vegetables. Continue to simmer until flavor is as spicy as you like, adding reserved liquid as needed to thin.

Stir in 1 cup reserved liquid with the rice. Simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender. Serve or continue to simmer, as desired.

(Ingredient quantities for 100 servings)

13 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
    13 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
    39 green bell peppers, diced
    26 onions, diced
    65 cloves garlic, minced
    26 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
    3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon chili powder
    2-3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
    2-3 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
    1/4 - 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    65 bay leaves
    13 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    13 cups uncooked white rice

3. snorton938

here's another one with a blow by blow on how they actually prepared this monster:

JAMBALAYA

Jambalaya is a southern dish consisting of smoked meat (ham, sausage), rice, and vegetables: onions, Celery, bell pepper and tomato. It is best cooked in a cast iron pot, over high heat. The vegetables are added in three stages to add dimensions in texture and taste to the meal. This recipe will feed approx. 75+ people. Shrimp or crawfish can be used instead of chicken, and cayenne pepper can be used to kick the heat up a notch or two, but I do not use these when cooking for a group.

4 lbs of diced ham, seasoned with Cajun spices
    6 lbs of smoked polish sausage cut up in slices, I prefer Farmer John Louisiana hot links, but polish sausage will work also
    4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, seasoned with Cajun spices
    6 lbs Uncle Ben’s converted rice
    1 # 10 can of tomato sauce
    1 # 10 can of diced tomatoes
    2 bunches of celery diced
    6 large onions chopped
    8 bell peppers diced
    4 49.5 oz cans of chicken broth
    Cajun seasoning either “Tone” or “Shilling” available at Costco, Sam’s or Smart and Final
    1 lb of butter or margarine
    Bay leaves

In a hot iron pot, began melting 2 sticks of margarine, add about 1/3 of the chopped onions, and some Cajun spices, when the onions are translucent, add some of the celery and bell pepper, and after it has started to cook, add the ham. Keep working the sides and bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon or scraper. After the ham is cooking, and the vegetables are starting to cook down, add the sausage. Keep working the pot and using high heat, scraping the tasty morsels from the sides and bottom of the pot. Add the chicken, and the second stage of onions, bell pepper, and celery. As they are cooking, start adding the tomato sauce.

I start with a 22 qt. Dutch oven, and by this time, it is full. The first stage of vegetables has cooked down into a sauce, and I no longer need the high heat. I transfer the mixture to a 30qt stockpot. I then add the the diced tomatoes with their juice, approx 6 lbs. of rice, and the four large cans of chicken broth. I attend the pot for approx 45 mins. while the rice cooks in the spicy mixture. During this time I stir occasionally to keep the rice from burning to the bottom of the pot, and add water as needed, as the rice starts soaking up the liquid. Several bay leaves can be added also for flavor. This should make approx 28 quarts of Jambalaya, which should easily feed 70+ people. It freezes and reheats well.

At the Festival we served 100, 8 oz servings.

Enjoy: George and Alice Finkle

4. skeatingla

skeatingla Freshman

Thanks...

Thanks Snorton. I will ley you know how it turns out.

skeatingla
    :lsug:

5. snorton938

bring some power aide with you or something....you're gonna need it (whew!).

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know, but for that quantity, I'd probably hire a jambalaya man to come by with his specialized equipment trailer. At least check his prices. Of course, if you live in Montana . . . there ain't no jambalaya man!