Military James Foley murdered by ISIS

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Aug 21, 2014.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Thank goodness I'm retiring in a month. This thread could put my clearance at risk.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Did I say you or the public in general? Their mere existence or knowledge of them does not disqualify some of their work as secret or outside of standard military operations. And frankly you are talking about the "unknowable" so you can't deny something of which you have no knowledge.

I am well aware of Dick's book. I own it. I have read it. He sold more copies of that book AFTER bin Laden then prior. Heck during the same time period in 1992, Gail Sheehy's book on menopause was selling more copies than Rogue Warrior. Back then people weren't really talking about or reading headlines having to do with covert operations. There was no bin Laden or 9/11. Do you remember the headlines after bin Laden's killing? That's when a plethora of interviews, questions, and books really kicked in.

And of course that is all true and inclusive? All their missions are discussed?

You discuss what has been made public knowledge. What can you say of the numbers not being discussed?

They have a reason to be. Taking credit was not part of their style until recently. Marcinko is different and he can take all the credit he wants. Their selection is based on their abilities. The 1% of the 1%. Those who choose to discuss the work they did and profit from it are the ones who are disliked. There are plenty of them who were not fans of Chris Kyle's book and I am not talking about Ventura.

An operation long-finished can still come home to roost. It's the state-of-mind I was talking about. And if the records are so protected, didn't you just mention above how easy it was to obtain info at navyhandbook.org? Terrorists have internet connectivity.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean I don't. And I was careful to counter your original charge . . . that ST6 was a secret until bin Ladin. It just ain't so. Yes they do covert work, yes many of their missions are still classified. That is obvious.. But many are not and the unit itself was NEVER A BLACK UNIT. They are a real military unit and on the open books.

Yes, public interest was spurred. But, as you admit, the existence of the unit was never a secret.

Of course not, but you are diverting the subject. Enough have been discussed to preclude any notion that they were a unknown secret unit.

When it is out, it is out. We do have totally black commando units in the CIA. I suspect much of the ST6 information that is leaked is to divert attention from those units. Let the public think ST6 does it all.

Navy commanding officers are public records. Navy salaries are public records. Individual SEAL covert operatives personnel files are not.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Remember that part about not putting words in someone's mouth? You said "secret" 3 times. I never used that word. What I said was that the general public was not generally aware of ST6 prior to the Maersk incident and things really exploded after bin Laden. Are you saying you don't remember the incessant stories and articles about who they are, what they do, etc? They became "sexy heroes" after bin Laden was taken out.

This group's origin was in 1979. They ceased being ST6 in 1987. Marcinko's book didn't come out until 1992. Why does everyone still call them ST6 when they have been DEVGRU for much longer? DEVGRU is a Tier 1 black ops unit. They are uniquely different than other specops groups because they virtually had unlimited money. They don't get standard issue anything. They get their pick of weapons and often have weapons made especially for them.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Then I don't see where your objections are coming from. If they were no secret and our adversaries certainly knew of their existence, what is the problem with "the general public" knowing about it?

I am aware of all this. You certainly talk like you think it is secret. They aren't even DEVGRU anymore BTW. They are still SEALS and the teams call them ST6 and the media calls them that. Call it a nickname, if you wish. It's not going away.