Jarret Lee the Starter?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Attack Tiger, Jan 23, 2011.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

:eek: Wow! What a surprise.

I really don't care who starts or plays as long as we keeping posting W's.
    But, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Lee plays. He is more suited to play the Pro Style offense if he can learn to read the defense. He may never learn and thats too bad for him because his release and arm would be coveted in the NFL. His problem may very well be between his ears, but you got to respect the work ethic and intangibles he brings to the team.

You know there is a saying that practice makes permenant not perfect. If you practice wrong, you will be very good at being wrong. If Crouton did not teach these kids the right way, then that's why they got better at being wrong, hence the regression.
    Maybe Krag can teach them right and their work ethic will make both of them better. What a treat that would be for our team.:thumb:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's only a nominee.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't think Lee will sniff the field next season.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think the biggest obstacle that Lee & Jefferson have yet to overcome is footwork.

Jarret can be an assassin in a west coast offense, which is essentially what we ran when he was being so successful in the early part of 2010. He must take short drops and release the ball very quickly. If he drops back too far, or if his primary his covered, he gets off-balance and never recovers. That's why he throws off of his back foot and gets picked off so frequently.

Jefferson, on the other hand, has to move around a bit before he can get set. That's why the ultra-conservative game plan, consisting of quick, short passes has never worked for him. It's also why he's so good on the roll-out. He needs to run around to get comfortable. His long wind-up won't allow him to execute quick passes effectively. The upside to this is that he stretches the field and allows his receivers time to get open.

Lee also has real problems with the pump-fake. He tends to fake it to the receiver that he ends up throwing to, which is pretty much the worst thing that you can do. It allows the defender to get perfectly into position before you throw it. This has also resulted in a lot of picks against him. He'd be well-suited to simply forget about pump-faking for the rest of his life.

That said, of the two, I think that Lee would have the best chance to excel in a true pro-style offense. I would think that footwork issues alone have a better chance of getting resolved in one spring than a throwing mechanics overhaul, which is what Jefferson would need. I say this because a true pro-set utilizes short and long passes. However, Krag & Miles may just plan the system around Jefferson's strengths and eliminate the short pass. So who knows. But I feel terrible for Lee because he's yet to be under the tutelage of anyone competent enough to improve his footwork issues. Kid's got a great arm with a beautiful touch, and could have been great in the right system.

Regardless, I don't see any way that Lee starts over Jefferson. Jordan's experience alone will guarantee that. I just don't see all 3 QBs coming into the spring on equal footing (n.p.i.).

1 person likes this.
  5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

fify.

6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

All I got to say is CLM needs to follow A&M's coaches lead. Play the best QB, and you have better outcomes.

I tend to agree with several points here.

1) Lee may not have aspirations of Sunday Football. .. so staying is in his best interests.

2) In a pro-style, Mett and Lee would be the pair I'd take. Move JJ to tightend or something.

3) JJ's proved he is inconsistent. QB is just not his game.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Somebody tell me what that means.:confused:

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fixed it for you.

If you thought that the military was bad about acronyms and abbreviations, the thumb-typing blackberry generation is worse.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ is your friend.

9. GreatestStory

GreatestStory LSU Faithful

That's like the stupidest kid in high school getting a new math teacher his senior year... and you expect him to be valedictorian.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I think it would be closer to a kid who used to make banner roll (in middle school) getting back to making at least honor roll in HS.