Jason Garrett is a dud

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Dec 28, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Agree. 100%. Let's throw Romo in that pile, as well.

3. islstl

That December record. Geez.

4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

apparently Jethro feels the same.

He's given permission for teams to speak to Garrett for HC.

so much for the HC in waiting.

Jerry Jones is an even bigger dud.

5. clair

clair Rockets

he has more superbowl rings than a bunch of NFL franchises do.

But to the point at issue, the Cowboys never adjusted.

Garrett never made changes.

Teams started to beat his system at the end of last year and he never altered it or tried to change it at all.

Watching the Cowboys' offense this season was like watching the LSU defense -- guys moving early on the line, guys running the wrong routes, etc...

What I want for Xmas is:

1. Jerry to spend a motherload on Mike Martz (who will be fired by the 49ers). If you're going to have a coordinator who wants to throw it all game like Garrett, you might as well have the best in the business calling the pass plays.

2. Let Wade have 100% control over the defense. The 2nd half of the season when he took over the playcalling, it was like night and day.

3. Draft a handful of DBs. They're set in the front 7. And they're set with Newman. But from Pacman to Watkins, etc... to the entire rest of the secondary, they're all very Saints-like.

Do those 3 things, I think the offense will be very explosive and I think the defense will be more sound.

Because, let's face it -- the Cowboys are a playoff team. They didn't get in, b/c they went 9-7, but they lost 2-3 games with Romo out of the lineup that they'd have won with him there. All it would have taken was a "W" in any one of those games and they'd have gotten in.

Not making excuses. I'm just saying that there is plenty of talent in the playhouse.

6. islstl

Well Jerry Jones is a joke.

Jimmy Johnson won 3 Super Bowl Rings for Jerry (and yes I count the token one under Switzer).

Once Jerry saw that he wasn't so enamoured with the way Johnson was getting all the press, he decided to get rid of him and hire a bunch of puppet coaches he could control.

Even with Parcells, he forced T.O. upon him and that never worked out. What a bizarre relationship that was.

Jerry Jones is a football idiot, like I heard on Galloway and Co. on my XM radio driving back home tonight. And that was from a Cowboys supporter (one of the rednecks on the program).

7. clair

clair Rockets

Making the trades to get the picks for Walker, drafting Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and spending the $ for Deion, Haley, etc... had nothing to do with any of this success?

He's a risk taker.

Sometimes he'll get snake eyes and be the king.

Sometimes he'll get nadda and fall on his face. There's no in-between with guys like him.

But to deny that he had a HUGE hand in making those 3 titles happen in the 90s happen is just silly.

The Cowboys haven't won much of anything since around 96-97 or so when the majority of the core of the team aged. But in that span of time, there only have been about 6-7 franchises who HAVE won anything significant, so it's not like the field is lapping them.

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

But how many of those franchises HAVE at least won a playoff game?

9. clair

clair Rockets

if you ain't 1st you're last, bubba.

I get what you're saying, but in my eyes, 11-5 and winning a playoff game is the same as 8-8 with a 1st round loss.

The turnover rate among the teams is high enough to where barely anyone on the "playoff winning team" will be there to build unity anyway.

They almost had one in the Seattle game.

Surely Jerry didn't cause the fumbled snap.

10. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Trust me, Cowboys fans would not feel any better today if there were a couple of playoff victories in the past 12 years. The only thing we count is the Lombardi trophy. Sort of like a college team I support.

But yes, Garrett is a dud. I agree with Clair's analysis of other teams catching on to his style and adjusting.