Jason Garrett is a dud

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Dec 28, 2008.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Easy on the praise for Jethro. I would give more credit to the other JJ than Jethro in the acquiring talent area.

I will give Jethro credit for being a very successful marketeer. Probably the 21st century's version of PT Barnum.

And finally, brush up on your Boys history. Michael was already on board when the JJJJ's arrived in '89. :wave:

2. clair

clair Rockets

Jerry's the GM...

He has control over the roster.

Not sure how Johnson gets more credit than Jerry.

I'm not saying Jerry gets 100% credit for all of this. I'm just saying he's not the douche-bag some here think he is.

He's a far better and far more successful owner than the owner of the team most everyone here cheers for.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Since I can't do the multi quote thing, bear with me.

In the early days of the partnership I'm pretty sure Jimmy had a considerable role in the talent evaluation process both the draft and free agency. Jethro got the lions share of the credit, but I'm sure most of the grunt work was done by Jimmy.

How many playoff games have the Cowboys won since Jimmy left? Don't count Barry's SB. You and I could have coached that team and won a SB.

Jethro is a douche bag, albeit a very rich one. :hihi:

And finally, admit you blew it including Michael in your previous dissertation. I noticed you didn't mention it. :wave:

4. clair

clair Rockets

I got Irvin wrong. Oh my. :eek:

So, why are we not counting the wins by Switzer?

You have to go out there and get it done. A lot of people would say they could have coached this year's team, but they didn't make the playoffs.

Regardless, he hired Jimmy and he won 3 more Superbowls than anyone on this forum has.

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

So the Lions over the last 12 years = the Cowboys over the last 12 years?

I don't believe that. McNabb and what he has accomplished has been > whatever Cowboys QB has accomplished within the same time span. Sure, the Super Bowl is what everyone wants, but some success is better than none success. C'mon.

If Peyton hadn't made it to the playoffs in his first year, there is a large possibility he would have been fired after this season. A playoff win, albeit not as important as a Super Bowl win, is more than you're letting on.

6. clair

clair Rockets

The Cowboys have been to the dance 5 times since 1998 that I can think of.

5 times in 11 seasons isn't amazing. But it's not like they have been 0-16 in the seasons they didn't get in.

They had a string of 5-11's in that span, but they also had a pair of 9-7 seasons that they didn't make it into the dance.

In the last 11 seasons, they're a combined 89-87.

And they have 4-straight winning seasons.

I mean, I know they not the thoroughbred class of the NFL, but they are not in the ranks of the Lions, 49ers, etc...

They are very competitive more often than not. I don't have the time to do it, but if you zoom out to 1998, I'd bet that 89-87 record is probably in the upper-half of the league.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Jimmy Johnson rebuilt this team.

Jerry Jones didn't like the fact that someone else was steering the ship of his precious franchise, so he got rid of him.

All of this is well documented.

I will give Jerry Jones credit where credit is due, however. He was responsible for causing the salary cap problems they had in the late 90s to the point they could not retool and ultimately caused the collapse of the dynasty that Johnson built years earlier.

1 person likes this.
  8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

all i know is, i watched that hbo training camp thing earlier in the season with dallas, and garrett's brother, the TE's coach, is fun to listen to.

he's like kevin nealon in happy gilmore.

"be the ball martellus...all good things."

9. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Exactly!

It's no coincidence the Boys have gone to crap since Johnson was fired. And why, cause Jones is a control freak. He should coach the team as well instead of hiring idiots, except Parcells.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Since you've brought that up, is it OK for us Saints fans to point to 17....17.....17! players on IR by season's end when discussing why we didn't make the playoffs?