Jason White Should Hang It Up

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by marcmc99, Jan 23, 2004.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It sounds like most of his beating came against our mighty Tigers.

How bad was their back-up, if they let White continue playing (poorly) with a broken foot in the Sugar Bowl?

And I think his bad performances in the last two games had less to do with "playing hurt" than he was GETTING hurt by being knocked onto his backside so often. Didn't anyone else get to him all year?

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Man I bet Paul Thompson (Sr. Backup) was pissed that White got the extra year. He is supposed to be a pretty good QB too.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ramah tried to warn them.:shock:

I don't like the implication that, somehow this contributed to their loss. LSU would have beaten them with Brett Favre at QB. And StaceyO raises an interesting question. If he was so banged up, why didn't the back-up get in? Could it be Stoops places the "W" over the welfare of his players? Look at Philly coach Andy Reid. He knew they had no chance with Detmer in the game, but he did the right thing by sitting McNabb down. If I was an Oklahoma player I would go "Hmmmmmmmmm."

5. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

That's a tough guy. As long as he can make it back next season I say let him play.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Well, I don't know boys. Maybe White didn't come out. He could've gone into that game thinking it was the last hurrah and decided to just play through the pain.

I remember an SI story on White, the year before last, when he blew his first ACL. The exchange on the sideline went something like this:

White: "Can we tape my knee up?"
    Trainer: "You're not hearing me son. It's torn. You can't play!"
    White: "Well, can we try it anyway? I'm sure I can manage."

They taped him up and sent him back out there. He lasted three plays.

This was in a regular season game, so of course he's gonna play till he drops with the Crystal Ball on the line. You gotta give the guy this. He is tough as nails and he is a gamer. But I just don't want to see him crippled for life because of this. Maybe it is time to call it a career. With all he has accomplished, surely his health is more important.

7. SoonerInFla

SoonerInFla Freshman

The "knee surgery" is nothing more than a cleaning out procedure that is done on people that have had previous reconstruction.

The "broken foot" is actually a broken bone under his toe.
    The cast is mainly for support and protection, same as the one on his hand, sprained in the Big 12 CG.

None of these things are reason for a player to "hang it up."

SabanFan, the implication that Stoops places the "W" over the welfare of his players is a pretty sad statement. I would liken it to someone stating that JW's being banged up took away from LSU's Championship performance.

"I know everyone has an opinion," Stoops said. "But, shoot, there was no way I was taking that kid out of that game. And there was no way he wanted to come out."

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I did not state it as fact. I think it's a legitimate question. If you don't agree, that's your prerogative.
    Frankly, the quote you attributed to Stoops:
    lends some credence to it. Again, JMO.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

An OU grad friend of mine was pissed that they didn't put the backup in. Right now I'm sipping some of that 30 year old Glen Livet I won from him.

10. Sooner70

Sooner70 Freshman

StacyO-Oddly enough, one of the teams that gave White fits was Baylor-I think they sacked him 4-5 times.

Anyway, if the medical staff says he can go & White wants to play, no way Stoops is pulling him out of the NC game. He's worked too hard to get back to this goal. Thompson is a good QB and a run threat, but Stoops believes in sticking with who brought them that far. That's just the way he is. Not saying I agree with it 100% of the time, & think PT could've come in for a few plays while White's toe thing was going on, but.....

Even if PT had come in, doubt if it'd changed anything. The thing that I questioned more than leaving White in was abandoning the run game in the 4Q when it seemed to be working for OU. Anyway....

you won't hear Stoops making any excuses. That's also part of what he's all about & that's admirable. LSU put together a great effort---coaching + execution wise--along with fine athletes & came away with a great win. Enjoy it & be proud.

"Honor your opponent--both on & off the field---before and after the contest--in victory or in defeat.."....Bob Stoops