JCT: Healthcare law to sock middle class with a $3.9 billion tax increase in 2019

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Swerved, Apr 14, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

An average potential tax increase of $123 in 2019 dollars to get all the offsetting benefits of the health plan is trivial to anybody who has bothered to put a pencil to it. But the serial bitchers will bitch about anything and everything.

2. red55

It's a simple matter of scale, amigo. In a Trillion-dollar income, 3.9 billion is trivial. Much ado about nothing.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Interesting take, were you a serial bitch during the Bush years?
    You will be bitchin by 2019 because you will have trouble getting an appointment.
    There is already a doctor shortage and it will just get worse under a universal health care plan.

I would like the definition of a serial bitch, what qualifies one as that?

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Woo hoo!! I got an "amigo" out of ya! Thank you, sir. I feel accepted now :lol:

But, I think you helped make my point. As small as it seems to you, it is still $3,900,000,000.00 that could have been obtained by not spending rather than taxation. It's a simple concept really. But since it's such an insignificant number comparatively speaking, then it's no big deal to raise the tax by that much without alarming the public, so they would think.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. There's almost $16 billion in earmarks to be set aside for 2010. When compared to the numbers thrown around today it seems like nothing to some. So, is it ok for our law makers to spend $16 billion on pet projects since in the grand scheme of things it's small? After all, compared to the $108 trillion in unfunded liabilities we have, what does $16 billion matter?

So this leads to the question, what number is large enough to worry about? Doesn't the phrase "every little bit counts" mean anything anymore? It should, especially when we're broke.

I know that when times have been tough hard with my finances, I'm counting change, buying non-name brand, eating ramen noodles, etc.. just to save a few cents here and there where I can. I can't comprehend how, considering the amount of debt we're in, they can still manage to think it's ok to piss billions of dollars away on stuff that's not needed, all the while getting further and further in debt. Why raise taxes by $3.9 billion when they could have decreased spending by that much instead? That's my whole take really. It's frustrating watching them go through money like toilet paper, and then raise our taxes or print more money just to help continue their terrible spending habits.

To give credit where credit is due, they did decrease from $19 billion last year to $16 billion this year, so that's a start. But they still have a long way to go.

All this left/right finger pointing crap I couldn't care less about. This spending is ridiculous and whoever is doing it, no matter what side they're on, has got to stop at some point.

5. red55

Well, we're not really broke, we're still the richest country on earth, with the most stable government and economy out there. But let me ask you . . . do you really think that health expenses will not go up in nine years? There were skyrocketing anyway. Income is going to rise and taxes will rise with it. We do need to consider scale when evaluating these claims made by people just trying to find faults. There are going to be real problems that are better addressed when not distracted by "chicken Little" issues. And why do you not consider the benefits that go along with that small expense?

Spending will never stop. It just must be better balanced between income and outflow. It must be attacked from both ends. Spending must be cut first and taxes must be adequate for those expenses that cannot be cut, even if they have to be raised from time to time. The idea that taxes can go away or be reduced to tiny amounts is just not realistic for a modern country, much less a superpower.

6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Of course health care was skyrocketing. But on the same token, do you really believe this plan will stop the costs from continuing to rise? Considering the track record of our government to curtail costs, I don't. I think to believe decades of compounded problems can be fixed inside of a year with a bill that was thrown together and passed by "any means necessary" is not realistic in my opinion. Especially when more than half of the country is against the bill itself, and the manner in which it was passed. CNN, CBS, Fox, Gallup, Rassmussen, USAToday, Washington Post, AP, etc.. all reflect this. That doesn't seem odd to you? I know, I know, it's a representative republic (supposedly) but when they force a bill through that over half of the country doesn't favor, then either they're not "representing the will of the people", as I understand the phrase.

As for not acknowledging the benefits, I don't know.. Perhaps it's because I don't trust these crooks in office or what they say. Unless of course they say they're increasing spending or taxes, because as their past would illustrate, they'll keep their word on those two things.

Agreed, and just for clarification I didn't say taxes should be eliminated or reduced to tiny amounts. My problem is they keep nickle and diming us (when we're lucky) seemingly more for the purpose of supporting their spending rather than putting the money to use as it was intended. And I'm aware there have to be taxes for government to function, but I think the problem is what peoples' opinion of to what capacity is the issue. Obviously, that opinion changes from time to time and I'm just waiting on the next time.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's one more card on a house of cards, Red.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i read the other day where nurses could be taking on doctors roles.

Doctors, nurses clash over plan to expand role of nurse practitioners - McKnight's Long Term Care News

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Do you actually think that is a good or bad thing?

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

depends, i wouldn't want nurses doing surgery on anyone, but if i go to a doctor with a cold, i don't see why the nurse cant just give me the same ole script for a z pack. I mean how much time does a doctor spend with you anyway? All they ever do is creep me out.