JD-I want your honest opinion about this link...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Dec 14, 2003.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

It looks as if it's a definite victory for the pro-school vouchers camp here. This guy knows his stuff, from what it looks like, and I was wondering what your reposnse was.

I know that you are somewhat of a non-supporter of school voucher programs, so I was wanting to guage your opinion about this...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/121303/new_vouchers001.shtml

2. JD

JD Founding Member

I don't know what you want me to say - yeah, if every kid could get the education that most private schools currently offer, educational quality would increase. That's a very limited trial.
    Let's also note that $30 mill for 5,000 students is $6,000 per student. Well I can tell you you can go to Jesuit HIgh school for less than that - what I'm saying relates to a point below - hello tuition inflation. $6,000 tuition for pre school??? Sounds like they were getting the creme de la creme. I don't think the typical voucher program covers $6,000 for pre school

Voucher proponents haven't made the case that that would happen: a)with billions of government money in the system, tuition prices will simply inflate; b)there will be an immense amount of selcetion by the privates - right now the public schools are hurt by adverse selection and the poorest of the kids who are also average intelligence will end up with really bad education; c)you have to pay for transportation; d)the government now pays only for those who use public schools - under vouchers, they will pay for the education of everyone - can we afford that?; in NO Parish, if we had to provide a voucher for everyone, where we don't pay for 30% of the students, taxes would skyrocket.

I'm all for trying a system, but full bore, but in a limited geographical area. I'M even more for it IF you means test it (but means tested vocher proposals are repeatedly voted down - gee, I wonder why).

I might also prefer a system in which the government tells schools - we will pay you $X per year per student - if you want to participate, fine - if not, fine - instead of a vocher that won't cover the tuition. Some things will have to be worked out on that, but it has more of a chance of really helping poor kids.