Jeff Fisher

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ponchy Tiger, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Ponchy Tiger

Ponchy Tiger Founding Member

His contract with Tennessee is up. He has been with the Titans for 10 or so years, and it looks like they are facing a downswing, especially with McNair likely to retire. I seem to recall he had interest in the USC job when Carroll was hired. I would certainly contact his agent to gauge interest (I think his agent is, yes, Jimmy Sexton). Though I think he still has high value to NFL teams (wonder why Adams would risk letting his contract expire if he wasn't thinking about going in another direction?) there have been questions about his return to Tennessee. Nothing to lose; maybe the guy is looking for a change. Fisher would definitely be able to recruit with his NFL pedigree.

2. veedo

veedo Founding Member

I heard his name yesterday. He is the best candidate that I have heard of, and I have been sold on him ever since I heard his name. I would guess that he would be a long term commitment to LSU. He has done it all at the NFL level, except win the Super Bowl (although he did get there). The only question is if he wants to leave the NFL or find another team and go at it again with a fresh start and try to win the Super Bowl. Has he had enough?

3. Ponchy Tiger

Yes, the main question is would he want to move to CFB when I am sure NFL teams would be in line to hire him (though can't think of many "good" NFL jobs opening). Plus, he could keep Jimbo to run the offense and we'd have the Fisher-Fisher combination!

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Wow, this would be huge!!
    I am a Jeff Fisher fan but I don't think he'll leave Tennessee or the NFL, he's been there a long time, he may have the longest tenure in the NFL?

5. Ponchy Tiger

I think only Bill Cowher has a longer tenure. I think he is a longshot candidate, but worth a shot. Can't imagine Adams would let this guy get away, but it is strange he let his contract expire thus risking him leaving. Maybe he is the "mystery" candidate to be interviewed Monday after the NFL regular season ends...

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Not directing this at you, since you may just be passing this on, but this is pure BS.

Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches in the NFL. If Bud Adams cut him loose---very possible, since Adams is the worst owner this side of Bill Bidwell in the league---Fisher would be the top candidate for teams with and without current coaching vacancies. Floyd Reese, his GM, may bolt to Miami to join Saban, too, but he's totally an NFL guy, sitting on the competition committee, etc., and most certainly will get a gig with another team if he's cut loose or leaves.

Looks what he's accomplished with an idiot owner. Imagine if he went somewhere where he was appreciated and supported fully?

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Da Saints? :shock: :grin:

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would love for J. Fisher to get an interview.

9. Ponchy Tiger

To Tejas Tiger

I am not disagreeing with you. I think you see I mostly said the same thing you said. My only comment is that if LSU is exercising due diligence, it should AT LEAST gauge his interest. I would be flat out shocked and pleasantly surprised to see Fisher make the move from Tennessee to LSU. I just find it hard to believe the top 3 (and only) candidates have consisted of Petrino, Miles and Nutt. Of course we don't know who has said "no" to Bertman, but I have to believe this ain't over... and I tend to think the end of the NFL season will bring new names to the forefront. I've seen nothing to make me think Fisher will actually leave Tennessee much less the NFL...

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

His contract is not up. It was just extended last year, through 2006.

Typing in the words "jeff fisher contract" and doing a keyword search can tell you that.

http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/showstory.cgi?story_id=42411