Jefferson taking ownership

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

We lost four games last year...two by two points each, one to a good Florida team (their lone TD on a push off by the WR), and one to the BCS winner (horrible officiating).

Considering the coaching, OL play, mistakes, clock management, etc...this team has an opportunity to greatly improve from last year and be a top team.

JJ doesn't have to be an All-American but he does have to play smarter than he has in the past. You can't blame him entirely for the offensive struggles but he did contribute to their inability to move the chains and score.

I hope the "swagger' equates to reading defenses, not throwing at ankles, avoiding sacks, and understanding the play clock. The excuse of being young and inexperienced is no longer valid.

This should be his breakout year. If not, we may need to move on or we'll be having the same discussion in 12 months. Good luck JJ...we need you!

1 person likes this.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I guess we'll see. Put me in the "skeptical" group.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I'm going to wait until "Red" can express clearly what this new found "swagger" really means.;)

Until then I'm not sure wolfing at the defense constitutes success on the field or a new found understanding of the offense.

A nasty running game is all the confidence he is going to need for next year. But if Miles puts this offense on the shoulders of this Quarterback one more year all the swagger in the world will not change the same outcome.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i don't want a comfortable quarterback unless he is in the pocket. I want a guy who is scared he may lose his job in the spring. Confidence is one thing, cockiness is another.

1 person likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Crowton can't simplify SEC defenses for him, Turbo. Jefferson wasn't ready for the big time last season any more than Lee was in 2008. Both of them should have been watching Perrilloux start and getting in quality reserve time. Their junior year was when they were expected to be ready to play, under normal circumstances. This year. So I expect that Jefferson will be far more prepared and confident this season. What remains to be seen is if he has learned how to read complex, deceptive defenses and get the ball to the open playmaker . . . and boy do we have some playmakers that need to see the ball.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You would be correct, which is why it is pretty reassuring when in the teams first spring scrimmage the running backs steam rolled over 230 yds. Granted it is just a scrimmage, but it is a sign of good things.

LSU football: Rushing game shines in LSU scrimmage | - NOLA.com

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Yep, that's a very good sign. If all the other scrimmages look like that till the kick off, that's a culture. Not only will I believe it so will the players.

8. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

Agreed Red, but it is the responsibility of Crowton to have him ready, based upon where he is. Jimbo, would develop QB's and play call based on their skills and abilities. GC's game plans were the same every week. There were not any of us who did not know what play was being called. So complex defense or not, I don't care if Brees was back there, the chance of success was nil due to play calling. This why I believe BG as QBcoach/OC in waiting is making the difference in him. It's also why I believe RS is finally primed to shine. I guess I am a Billy Gonzales Sunshine Pumper. :grin:

9. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Unless Crowton does a 180 it doesn't matter who you have back there.

- No short dump off routes on pass plays
    - Telegraphs play call by personnel substitution
    - Jefferson has huge windup in the mechanics, very late delivery
    - Jefferson doesn't go through progressions, first guy is not open, he gets confused
    - Not decisive when he runs and is not a good runner even though he has above average foot speed for a QB
    - No pocket presence

What has kept him in the game is he knows if he doesn't throw an INT he has a shot of keeping the job.

I expect the opposing DC to keep doing what they have been doing since the 4th game of 2008, stack the line, make the QB take a drop and throw the ball down the field. If Crowton continues his substitution crap, it will probably take a game or two to figure the new plays for the new players since you lost Scott, Holliday, and Williams... the opposing DC's should be able to figure it out within a game or two.

An improved OL will help but unless you have the Hogs from the 80s... when you telegraph plays and have a QB that hasn't shown he can constantly throw from the pocket on time and in route, well you can expect about 8-9 in the box... good luck running through that in the SEC.

If you don't have a QB that can throw on-time and hit the WR in stride even a few times a game, well your SEC life is going to suck.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Your assumption is the JJ will not mature, or learn, or grow. I guess you didn’t either from you freshman to your junior year, you stayed the same and nothing that you were taught in class helped you. Crazy thought, just maybe JJ has learned, has matured from having gone to class for an entire season spent on the field.