Jefferson taking ownership

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

I am not making any assumption at all except common sense ones.

- A player is not in a position to tell the OC how to run the offense
    - You can't teach that big throwing mechanic out of his game
    - You can't teach someone instinct in running

Some things you can teach, others you can't. Never said he couldn't improve, most of the problems I see are mostly things that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't.

My assumption is opposing DC's will do exactly what they have been doing since the 4th game of 2008. Load the line, if Crowton continues his substitution play calling scheme, NC will have it figure out by half-time which players do what.

Even if Jefferson were Joe Montana he would be having a hard time with this offense. I feel bad for all the QBs over the last 2 years, they are being put in a terrible position play in and play out.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Thats funny, especially since you a big advocate of "Coaching Up". How do coaches, coach up if they aren't teaching the mechanics of a position? You contradict yourself.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Says who?

Weird statement considering QBs learn this at every level. Example Tebow is learning to shorten his windup as well as footwork, etc... as we speak. Many QBs across the college and NFL ranks learn new things to refine their throwing motion.

As for JJ during Spring practice, I have been watching video and he does look more in control and crisp in his throws. He has also dedicated himself to film study which is nice to hear.

1 person likes this.
  4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

That's funny, after listening to people here run down Jefferson over the past year on his supposed lack of football intelligence you'd think he wasn't smart enough to break down film. :dis:

5. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Well, unless the LSU coaching staff is now able to morph Jefferson's complete body makeup to be someone else, no. Maybe they can me the next Michael Jordan.

It's not a weird statement at all, there is nothing wrong with his technique. It's his body makeup. Just like you are not going to make Peyton Manning run a 100 yard dash in sub 10 seconds is the same reason you are not going to get a quick release out of Jefferson.

There is nothing anyone can do with his big windup, it's genetics. As far as Tebow his problem is mostly technique but usually at this stage you either have it or you don't... if you need to refine that is ok. There is nothing that can be done to Jefferson to get rid of that huge windup, you will see next year and the year after that.

6. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

I never once said a coach shouldn't coach the position or the mechanics, what are you talking about. I swear people just make **** up.

A coach no matter how great is not going to get me to run a sub 10 100. Now that doesn't mean the coach shouldn't be trying. Where do you get these crazy ideas.

If LSU had a good OC, he could minimize the bad positions he has put the QBs over the last 2 years, with Crowton, well unless he changes everything he has been doing I don't care who you have back there it's going to be ugly.

I don't fault Jefferson, he trying as hard as he can but trying to make him something he is not is going to fall flat on it's face. I think all the QBs over the last 2 years should be given a huge shout out for having to put up with Crowton.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

sounds to me like coach jj and work with him to help him overcome some of the above.

i didnt see "shouldnt coach the position". i read the question "how" do they coach up if they arent teaching the mechanics. i mean you did list a lot of mechanics in your posts. seems like a pretty good question to me.

8. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

JJ Better grow up this summer. Isn't the first game on the road against North Carolina? Thats gonna be a lot tougher than practice... Here's hoping for the best for JJ & :lsup:.

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Neutral site, in Atlanta.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Lee out-threw Jefferson at yesterday's scrimmage. Perhaps Jefferson has not separated himself all that far yet. We sure as hell need a reserve that can play. The chances of an injured quarterback in the SEC is about 50%.