Jefferson taking ownership

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

He had six more attempts for a variety of reasons. More running plays with JJ in the game including 3 for 26 rushing attempts himself. Lee needs more reps and Miles wanted the 1st team defense to get more passing situation looks given they saw a ton of rushing looks last scrimmage. JJ's completion percentage should have been way higher as well given there were 4 or more drops while JJ was in and most were on 3rd and long situations. That is uncharacteristic from the results of the spring so far. I assume one or 2 of the drops was Tolliver who has the brace on his hand. I like how Miles is not using that as an excuse and forcing Tolliver to catch it anyway.

All indications from Spring is that JJ has been head and shoulders above the other QBs.

Lee has been stellar as well but the throws that Lee was better at last spring have been nullified because JJ has done the same or better with the same throws this spring.

All this info is up to this point and could change come the Spring game. Both Qbs will go up against similar defensive units (mixed with 1st and 2nd team defensive players). But in the end there will be no QB controversy this year.

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I understand what you are saying, its just one scrimmage. But in this partucular contest one sure does have to offer up a lot of excuses for Jefferson having a 46% completion rate to Lee's 58% and two TD's. We simply must have a passing threat this season or it will be deja vu. 46% won't cut it and Jefferson knows that better than anybody.

3. bhelmLSU

You were right with the 1st sentence. Situational scrimmages do not tell much of the story.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Have to give Lee credit for sticking it out after everything he's gone through. Shows a lot of character and tenacity. But if he has to come in for an injured Jefferson, I sure as hell hope he's protecting a big lead at the time.

5. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree. You can also hope it finally clicks in his head and he realizes where to go with the ball, and when to throw it away. I'd like to see him do well. I think Les should play him a quarter or a half if we ever get a good enough lead, starting early in the season, so if he has to come in, he has some recent game experience. Not any breathers on our schedule this year though.

I have to say, from his frosh to soph season, it didn't look like it clicked yet, for the little we saw of him. He'll be a Jr., and hope springs eternal. I'm pulling for JL!

1 person likes this.
  6. lsudolemite

I guess my question is do you give mop-up duty to a junior who will likely never start again in his college career barring injury to JJ? Or do you give it to a freshman Garrett, who needs to be gradually brought along to take over the position, and is a luxury we have definitely not had since Flynn? I'd lean toward the latter IMO, unless Garrett is absolutely not ready to handle a few offensive series.

1 person likes this.
  7. bhelmLSU

Lee is definitely ready more so than Garrett at this time. Not saying that Garrett is having problems or anything like that just that Lee is well ahead as he should be at this point in his career.

8. lsudolemite

As I would expect, too. This is how I'm looking at it: JJ goes down, Lee takes over. LSU leads by 14 over UNC or WVU with 5-6 minutes left, give Lee mop up duty. LSU leads by 24 over ULM or McNeese going to the 4th, put Lee in, with 4-5 minutes left put Garrett in.

9. red55

Maybe not a quarter or half, but an experienced junior reserve should come in for a drive or two in each half in any a game except maybe a close nail-biter when Jefferson is really on his game.

It not only gives us an experienced backup if Jefferson goes down, but it allows Lee to continue to develop instead of stagnate on the bench. Also important is for Jefferson to get a breather at good points in each half and a chance to study the defense from the sidelines. And it adds some real competition at the position which is healthy for both quarterbacks, just as it it at every other position.

Plus, I think the third QB should get a drive in any game where we are up 3 scores in the 4th. We need to stagger the quarterbacks better and never get caught in a Perrilloux situation again where the loss of one key players cripples us with for two years of green quarterbacks.

Deep teams can afford to get more players into the rotation. It keeps the team fresh in the 4th quarter, it gets quicker experience for the young guys, and it lengthens the careers of the upperclassmen, who suffer fewer injuries by having to take fewer reps. Under Nick and Les, LSU has been deeper than we have ever been. And on historically deep teams, even the most highly-touted freshmen redshirt immediately, get some special teams time as redshirt frosh, become a regular reserve as a sophomore, and then become ready to start or be a prime backup as a junior or senior.

10. red55

I agree. We have invested too much in Lee not to take advantage of it now that he is a steady junior instead of a green freshman. But Garrett should get some reps in won games to prepare him for when his time comes.