Jefferson taking ownership

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That is correct.

Our success depends on his success.

There will be 6 or 7 games next season that hangs in the balance in the 4th quarter. How he responds determines if we're a 6-6/7-5 team or an elite 10-2 or 11-1 team.

2. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

That was a direct challenge if I've ever heard one. Miles is not one to spout off to the media without a specific purpose. I think that entire message, including pumping up Lee, was crafted to kickstart JJ into the next gear. Hope it works! He starts making those throws Miles is talking about, and we could see the biggest offensive turnaround from one season to the next that any of us have ever seen.

:thumb:

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sounds like Jefferson's decision-making is still behind the curve. This is not good for Jefferson or for LSU.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

what i want to know is how often has the option been run in practice. If i never see another option run by an LSU team it will be too soon.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm just at a loss to understand why we would continue to run option plays with Jefferson. You need a shifty QB with good lateral quickness to keep the D from keying in exclusively on the RB. Jefferson is too big and does all his best running going north-south.

7. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

You don't have to be the best runner to be a good option QB, you do have to have enough quickness to get to the edge.... the option is about 70% decision making and making the decision fast.

The problem is Jefferson really has no instinct for that, another thing that kills the option play is they do it to the short side of the field... anyone that says Crowton is a wizard has got to be smoking some good stuff.

Jefferson is lucky not to have had a serious injury trying that stuff, indecision, running backwards up the field, generally looks like he doesn't know what he should be doing. At the end of the day he has no instinct, which is really the the key... Matt Mauck comes to mind. He just had an ability to get where he wanted to go.

Jefferson with the option is a dead end. Jefferson + running the option to the short side of the field is just an epic disaster every time.

As you can see I pretty much agree with you. I love this forum when they say how good a runner he is, well maybe, compared to say Lee he is a good runner other than that he is horrible. Why they continue to put the QBs in these bad positions is beyond me.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In the SEC, we just can't use a running quarterback. We have top wideouts and we need a passing quarterback making passes to pass receivers for passing touchdowns. Jefferson and Lee must become passing threats. If we need to run some option in the red zone to exploit a defense, we can put Shepard in.

This does seem to be the case.

Look, anyone who runs the option successfully runs it to both sides. The short side is often the strong side, that tight end is important. And the inside option (the quarterback off tackle) is the same inside option, wide or short.

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Id agree that if youre an option running team then at times you will and should run to the short side of the field. In the case of LSU it doesnt at all seem to work, so we shouldnt call it. The main reason is JJ isnt an option QB. JJ is much better as a runner on a draw. Or when the pocket breaks down or coverage is too good. LSU needs to ditch the option unless its with Shepard.

Ultimately for LSU to improve JJ must improve. He cant hold the ball and when given the opportunity he must throw a better deep ball. Plus he has to do a better job hitting receivers in stride. The biggest thing is LSU must run the ball better. Thats all on the OL. When an LSU OL cant hold blocks against USL something is wrong. I put that on coaching for not coaching up but more improtantly not sitting guys who arent performing up to par.

1 person likes this.
  10. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

BG could be the reason JL has "improved", as well