Jefferson taking ownership

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Red, did you watch the game today? Behind the curve? I'd say he came around the curve today. What happened? He hit someone head on! Today for a spring game was awful. Lee (outside of one pass) looked much better than Jefferson today. I wonder it the guy is afraid to throw the ball or he just doesn't have IT.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think we have a couple of quarterbacks with roughly equivalent skills and experience. One has the audacity to throw a risky pass and therefore tosses too many interceptions to be competitive in the SEC. The other is so careful not to throw interceptions that he take too few risks to be competitive in the SEC.

They each have a corner to get around and the one that manages it most convincingly will earn himself the start. But I would not be surprised to see a two-quarterback strategy this season. Neither has taken charge when given the entire reins, so LSU may be able to take advantage of both skill sets by playing them both regularly enough that the team suffers as little from a swap as they do when a fresh running back or a receiver comes in.

Crowton and Gonzales must make sure that we do it so that we get the best of both styles not the worst of both styles.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Man. I hope you're wrong - I hope that is not where we're forced to go.

4. RonnieMod

RonnieMod Freshman

I agree - a 2 QB platoon system isn't the answer - and the sad thing- Miles is too stubborn to change or admit a poor decision - the immediate future for the offense being competitive in the SEC doesn't look too bright. One thing for certain - Jefferson is not the answer - last year the excuses were his "inexperienced young QB" - what will they be this year?

1 person likes this.
  5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There were a lot of positives out there yesterday.

That is all.

6. Bandit88

Without a doubt. Mike Ford and Kevin Minter and Craig Loston and Montgomery and KeKe and Jasper and the OL and Ridley and Randle and Peterson returning kicks and the lack of fumbles and did I mention Ford?

7. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

This would not shock me. I smell a Cholly Mac finish coming. Our old school Tigers, 7-4 or 8-3. That was the Tigers typical record under the two QB system.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I really hope it doesn't come to a 2 QB system, but if it does I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't understand undue apprehension about platoon quarterbacks. If we had a QB that had really separated himself then he would deserve to be the unquestioned starter. But that hasn't happened in two years. If one of these guys had that kind of stuff, we'd know it by now. But it doesn't mean that they haven't both improved, so we shall see.

I just don't see the coaches putting hitching their wagon to Jefferson and letting him trail the conference for the whole season if he performs the way he did last year. If Jefferson doesn't take control and run an effective offense quickly, I think we'll also see Lee in the game by week three.

And if the top quarterback recruits in the country don't see an opportunity at LSU next year, then they ain't looking.

10. Bandit88

This is purely an opinion based on my own football experience - one that ended when we lost in the State Semi- finals a long, long time ago.

But leadership and rhythm are critical components of an offensive football team. Platooning QBs makes it really difficult. The two QBs have to be fantastic leaders and on the exact same page. I just don't see that as a feature of these two fellas.

The other option is a lineman taking over leadership but I haven't heard whether there is such a lneman on the team.