Jefferson throws 4 TDs in scrimmage, Mett likely 3rd string

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jdkees, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

It would appear, based on what Miles keeps saying, that Jefferson is the clearcut starter. Most of us already knew that, however.

Interestingly, Mettenberger seems to be considerably behind Lee, according to Miles. Les continues to comment on how much ahead of the offense Lee is over Mettenberger. That's only natural, considering this is Lee's 4th year. However, I thought having a new OC would sort of even the playing field and allow Mett a chance to catch up to JL and JJ.

So, old Mett may be warming the bench this season, barring a complete meltdown at QB, which is certainly possible. Hell, we may not even see him throw very much in the Spring game. If that happens, there may be a riot in Tiger Stadium.

Regardless, Mettenberger seems to be pretty smart, so picking up the offense may not be such an issue. Perhaps he will be battling for the 2nd spot in the Fall. He will not be starting however, unless JJ, then JL get hurt before Sept.

I thought all this was worth mentioning--largely because some folks seem to have this delusion that he's going to start or beat out JJ. That just seems totally unlikely, at this point. I still think we're gonna need Mettenberger at some point this season, though.

Anyway, 4 TD passes for Jefferson, even in a scrimmage seems crazy. That's almost as many TD passes as he had last season.

LSU!

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's just the spring, tons of time before the season starts. How many practices does Met have under his belt? Not many. The odds are against him, but he should make the most improvement as time goes on. The gap between him and the starter could close quickly unless JJ and Lee really make big improvement.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Les is pumping up his seniors, building their morale and trying to keep Lee from transferring and Jefferson from pouting. Mettenberger will not be treated like a savior. He's a rookie and must earn his spurs this spring.

August is another matter entirely, there will be two new rookie quarterbacks and Mettenberger will be a veteran. Mettenberger has far more upside than Jefferson and if he has the hot hand in August, He'll start game one. If he chokes, then Kragthorp can bring in two experienced seniors.

You're dreaming. We didn't sign the top JC quarterback in the country to bench him. Jefferson and Lee are known quantities from three previous seasons . . . and known to be average.

You know this from listening to Les talk? I'd take what Les says to the press with a grain of salt.

If Mettenberger has the stuff, it will show and he will be starting by game three. If Jefferson chokes in Oregon, Mettenberger will playing in the second quarter.

4. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

I agree that all this speculation is happening in the Spring. It's still early and many things will happen in the Fall to determine who will play what position. And yeah, Les loves to speak cryptically.

I should say this: I gave Jordan Jefferson the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 or 4 games last year--then he started to drive me absolutely nuts. I couldn't take watching him play. Then, Lee started to come in, and even saved us in two games last year. I was confused and frustrated about who should play and start and when they should come in, etc.

Ultimately, JJ is inconsistent at his best. Yeah, he started to look decent towards the end of the season and in the bowl game, but I just have this sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach that it's going to be more of the same this year with JJ.

So, JJ is looking great right now, has some sort of command over the offense, and Les is going to start him. I don't think there's any question that he'll start. However, if he starts being inconsistent and making stupid decisions like he did last year, I think we will end up seeing Mettenberger, despite everything. I guess that goes without saying, but right now, for the moment, Mett is our 3rd string QB.

I want to throw more than 20 TD passes this year! I want to be ranked in the top 15 offensively! I can't take another year of a dismal passing game! Please God. I think Mettenberger has a chance to be our man. I guess it comes down to whether he'll even get a chance this year.
    :geaux:

1 person likes this.
  5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Both seniors have talent. Both of them have shown flashes of good play, but both have been very inconsistent. I don't think either one have ever had the luxury of feeling confident. I'm very interested to see if our new OC can put them in situations where they feel they can decide and react with confidence. The good news is - the position certainly will have to improve over the last several years.

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I read consistently that JJ is looking good. I just can't erase the many blunders from the past, so I with those lenses on, I don't think Mett is that far from the field.

I would be perfectly happy to see him on the bench all year...that would mean JJ is getting it done. And that would be great.

7. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Any time JJ has more than 1 week, and especially when he has 3-4 weeks to prepare for a game, he has generally played above average. He can't handle the prep when its condensed into a single week, and then he chokes in the game. Its happened week in and week out throughout his playing career.

Miles is stubborn and will stick with JJ longer than he should, which will take the team out of the running for the MNC. This isn't hearsay. This is fact. He stuck with Lee long after Lee should have been benched. He stuck it out with JJ long after JJ should have been benched.

The things we observe over and over again in coaches are called tendencies. Miles has a tendency to stick with one guy, hoping he'll work through it. This isn't baseball, where a pitcher can have a bad inning, and the manager hopes he can pitch himself out of it, because there are 6 or 7 more innings left. This is college football, where there are no second chances at your team's shot for the MNC.

As for Mett, until he learns to run the option, he won't be Miles first choice {sarcasm}.

8. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

Its easy to look good in practice. I really interested in finding out how the QB rotation will work in the televised spring game. I'll begin to take Jefferson more seriously once I see this new found magic on a live stage. I understand the coaches praise, but after 20 + starts, you are what you are in my opinion. If not for a killer defense, and a stellar run game, LSU would have been a sub .500 team over the past few team if we were forced to rely on the skills of our QB. Problem is, Jarrett Lee is just as terrible.
    With the flame out or Ryan Perriloux, and the baseball money that called Zach Lee, Miles should be commended for making the best of a terrible situation.

Mettenberger was courted for a reason, and the constant coverage isn't suited of an incoming QB. Especially with 2 experienced Seniors on the roster. That's why I have to take the constant praise of Jefferson as PR and motivational speak until August rolls around.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

If Jefferson holds onto the starting position, it will be because he deserves it based on tremendous improvement.

If he doesn't improve substantially, Mett will start.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I totally disagree with what you said.

I really do hope JJ will improve significantly and shine in 2011, but Mett never really stood a chance as I feared.

The good news is he has 3 years to play 2.