Jefferson throws 4 TDs in scrimmage, Mett likely 3rd string

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jdkees, Apr 2, 2011.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Most fans who have not been around coaching don't realize the depth of knowledge a quarterback has to have in order to be a starter at the college level. Newton was able to do it at Auburn because the playbook consisted of a zone read and about 3 passes. Mett will have to get quite a bit more time under his belt in order to get the offense down. When you look at a guy like Lee, he knows the offensive playbook cover to cover, and whatever krag adds won't be a huge change. Lee's execution has never been great, but the first step is always to know the plays.

1 person likes this.
  2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So we know for certain that we're not instituting Krag's playbook but basically the same offense we have been running the past 3 years that has failed miserably? That sounds encouraging.

Me no buy.

1 person likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

While I agree with the premise, I wouldn't expect to see a complete change from what we are used to. I'd say most of the offensive play book stays the same with a few changes here or there. Coaching and execution is where I'd hope we notice a difference. In time I'd think Krag would mix in what he needs to so that he can put his stamp on it.

If it were a totally new offense wouldn't all 3 QB's be on equal footing?

4. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Me neither.:dis:

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Not that difficult to call.

Manning passing academy + LSU QB = Miles choice.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

3 to play 3

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I see Jefferson lighting it up in practice as a good thing. Heading into a season made for a title run, I'll take the senior leadership at QB if all else is equal. It's not out of the question that JJ could turn the corner this spring. Stranger things have happened.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know . . . There is no way Kragthorpe is coming in here and running Crowton's playbook. Last season's offense sucked because the passing game sucked. Les now has the opportunity to change the offense or change the quarterback . . . or both. He certainly is not going to do neither.

Kragthorpe was brought in to change the offense right away. Mettenberger was brought in from junior college to improve the quarterback position right away. Les will not handicap Kragthorpe with Crowtons offense or Crowton's quarterback. Kragthorpe may utilize some plays that we are good at, but we won't be seeing as much option or spread.

I think Jefferson's and Lee's advantage is knowing the LSU receivers and much experience with SEC defenses, rather than knowing the playbook. The quarterback LSU needs must not only have a better arm than we saw last year, but must be a lot quicker in the mental agility department. Such a quarterback will have no problem understanding the playbook.

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

everything I've read from dandydon and a few other sources say, mettenberger is learning the play book very quickly and that he was clearly the #2 qb and could fight into #1 in the fall , but also Jefferson was improving big time too and could likely be the legitimate starter...

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I wonder how long it would take for Les to yank Jefferson if our offensive drives again consist of run, a 15-yd sack on 2nd down, and an incomplete pass to a spot that isn't within 10 yards of a white jersey. Goes to show how far the QB position at LSU has fallen when all we're asking for is consistent competence.