Jefferson throws 4 TDs in scrimmage, Mett likely 3rd string

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jdkees, Apr 2, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Maybe. This year will answer that question for sure.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

if jj has now figured things out and can make quicker decisions, he'll be very dangerous. hopefully his bowl game was a show of what's to come but we've thought that before too... either way if mett and jj split playing time we'll be and our offense can produce, we'll be an undefeated team.

3. dudley

dudley oops!

I'll say this in defense of JJ and JL. Neither has had a coach their entire college career. I'm talking about Gary Crowton. Hopefully, and I think, they have one now in Kragthorpe.

1 person likes this.
  4. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

Wow, Chick-Fli-A Bowl just flashed back...We all thought JJ would be skyrocketing after that game, but he turned out to disappoint us year in and year out. I am hoping for nothing but seeing this kid having a great senior season, but it appears that his inconsistency has been too consistent to make us believe this is gonna be a different year for him.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSU Logic

LSU Logic Founding Member

It is all a wait and see at this point. I remember last year Jefferson getting injured for a small bit, Lee having to come in, and then him getting a good hit and grabbing his wrist. I immediately thought, who do we have after that? I was all for Ware or Shepard in the wildcat on obvious running plays over throwing TC in the mix. I think we should all be grateful that we have some depth now, and some interesting competition forming. The actual best case scenario is to not have Mett thrown into the mix right away. It would be great if the lights finally got turned on for Jefferson and Lee. We could get a little redemption for kids who are actually working hard to win for LSU. One great to good year out of those guys on their way out would do wonders for their legacy. Mett could continue to learn, acclimate and push the seniors, and it gives the two incoming freshmen time to redshirt, get into a weight program, adjust to college life, and learn the playbook.

1 person likes this.
  6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

People who expect more out of JJ are right to do so, but we also must realize that many veteran QBs with a similar skill set have won at the college level. (Tee Martin won a ring in college, Peyton Manning did not.)

You can absolutely win games with an experienced QB with wheels. The rush to anoint an gunslinging sophomore with barely any real experience over a returning senior who has won a fair amount of games is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

Sure, the stat line has been at times ugly, and more consistency is needed, but you absolutely can win games with Jordan Jefferson at QB. He'll be the starter and rightfully so, IMO.

7. bandini

bandini Freshman

miles will make a qb change quickly this time around. starting qb is jj's to lose, but if jj is not consistent i think we'll see big zach right away. last season there was no qb on the bench to take over. this season will be different. its win-win either way! we'll see a new and improved jj or we'll see zach quickly and i'm thinking zach will at the least be competent which is all we need.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

So basically, he reached his peak as a sophomore? Because that's basically his numbers from his sophomore year. He was blasted then too...
    -
    And something to consider about Miles pulling JJ. Last year, I realize Lee came in and did a good job when called upon. But I assume since nobody's screaming for Lee that everyone realizes JJ>Lee. This season, Miles has a much better option to pull JJ for. And Miles' quotes of late have hinted that Mett is ahead of Lee in his mind. No, he's not gonna come out an say it, and no, I'm not going to grab a link. But a couple days ago, Miles' was quoted as saying Lee is ahead of Mett, but not by much, and he didn't know how long he would remain ahead of Mett. For Miles, that's almost like crowning Mett the starter! I was shocked he said that much...but he did. That tells me he's already ahead of Lee. Miles just isn't gonna throw someone under the bus...especially not in April.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

JJ 2009 stats

Att Cmp Yds TD INT
    296 182 2166 17 7

Buncha sacks, though.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

They also won't scrap the whole system with 2 senior QBs. They will scale back the old playbook and add some new stuff.