Jennings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chipeace, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Exactly. You could not have drawn-up a more improbable situation for him to prove himself ready. 99.5yds, facing a one score deficit, end of the game, end of the season, first consecutive meaningful snaps, against a highly motivated opponent looking to get its first conference win...yet he still managed to look so comfortable and executed magnificently. He's still got his youthful mistakes in front of him, but, by all accounts, he appears to be well-equipped to make the most of them.

gyver likes this.
  2. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

I would like to point out the old saying here "the most popular player on the team is often the back up QB". I too have high hopes for Jennings, however we all have to admit our hopes have been dashed over the last several years with QBs that were suppose to be our break and then flopped. The most obvious being perrilloux but dont forget russell shepard, he came in with hopes of being a stud QB or at the least a decent receiver. not so much there.

I am like everyone else hoping that Jennings will be developed and not be a one hit wonder. Still glad to hear mett should be back for the bowl game. Just means we have to blow who ever we play out early so Jennings can get some 3rd/4th quarter playing time.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Let me start by saying that I love Anthony Jennings. Always have. He seems like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders.

BUT

Remember when one of our first glimpses of Jordan Jefferson in the 2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl when he threw lights out and won MVP of the bowl game and everyone was so thrilled about JJ and the QB position.

The rest is history.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios and I'm certainly not busting on young Anthony Jennings....I'm just saying that we should all be cautiously optimistic and keep our expectations of the young man in check.

That being said, I saw nothing about the young man that I didn't like.

4. tigerace

tigerace Founding Member

Not sure if I agree with any similarities between Jennings and JJ. Jennings, even in spring scrimmage, showed a maturity and ability to read defenses and make good decisions. I think Jennings is a lot like the Russell kid in Seatle. I think Jennings has a big time arm and is a pass first QB that had the ability to use his feet to cause problems for defenses. I think Cameron will build on that with his offense with Jennings vs the run first/option failure which was JJ (whom I thought was not an option QB and uncomfortable with that offense). Cameron does not seem like the kind of OC who will force a square peg into a round hole. I think he will play to Jennings strengths, which seem to be his football savvy and big arm.

Contained Chaos likes this.
  5. Contained Chaos

Cam vs Crowton

There's also a matter of perspective. By the end of 2008, we'd forgotten what decent QB play looked like, and were simply thrilled to see someone not throw picks all game long. Conversely, we've seen great QB play all year long this season and therefore have a better metric for quality at that position. I'm not saying this guarantees that Winnings will be an All-American, but I think the 2 situations have some key dissimilarities.

6. didit

didit Veteran Member

Beat me to it... the crow has been "let go" of every job he's had since he "left" red stick... and that includes Canada where his offense should've prospered with the bigger field...

7. Contained Chaos

What's funny is that the longer JJ was coached by Crowton, the worse he got. He probably only did well at the end of the 2008 season because Gary had focused his efforts on ruining Jarrett Lee.
    So you mean he couldn't run the short side option because there was no short side?? :D

8. didit

didit Veteran Member

that's probably exactly how it happened...
    that's some funny chit right there... :D

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Cam is no Crowton, far from it. Cam will use Jennings strengths. But like I said, the job will be wide open, as with every position on the offense.

10. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

I also think Jennings will be special - because as you say - that QB job is "wide-opened."

I think Brandon Harris coming in early will put pressure on AJ to be focused and on top of his game - on and off the field.

Some players - like I assume Mett is - are self-motivators and don't need the threat of losing your starting jobs as extra motivation.

Some - like I perceive JJ was - crumbles, complains, and kinda quits inside when they are threatened with losing their status.

Let's see how AJ handles the competition that BH will - by most accounts - put on him. The guy is super confident:

“I get the opportunity to go in in December and compete as a freshman and start as a freshman,” Harris said. “Everybody knows Zach Mettenberger graduates this year. By me getting the opportunity to graduate in December, enroll early and go through spring practice, I get a great shot at trying to compete and start as a freshman.”

LSUDad likes this.