Jerrard Randall

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Mar 27, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe the coaching staff is dead set on having both a pro-style quarterback and a dual threat on the squad that can interchange at any moment. Remember we already have that in Jefferson and Mett/Lee. Les could be in love with dual quarterback system.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A lot of dual threat high-school quarterbacks end up at DB and WR.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

True, we have many cases of that. At least 3 on the team that I can think of. Two of them were recruited to play other positions, and Shep stayed a QB till he asked to move positions.

I think Jerrard Randall will stay a QB - the coaches want a running threat after Jefferson leaves.

4. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

The next Pat White? It worked at W. Va

5. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

I think Les Miles is a coach that always wanted to play a run-first & pro-style offense. He was not a big fan of spread offense until Gary Crowton stepped in and kind of intervened his offense philosophy for this team. Now with the departure of GC and the arrival of Coach K and Mett and Stephen Rivers, I bet Les will go back to the pro-style offense that he always wanted to play, and in turn lose interests in those running threat QBs. So I guess Jerrard Randall will be transferred to other positions such as WR or RB given his outstanding athleticism like what they did to Spencer Ware and Russel Sheppard and Mole Claiborne.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I think we all knew that Shep was not going to play QB at LSU.

7. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Let's hope he's that good!!!

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Miles likes having a QB that can run - regardless of the OC.

His bread & butter is a pro-style offense that uses the run to set up the pass, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether the QB is a dual threat or not.

Book it, unless Randall really struggles at QB he will stay there.

9. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

It will be certainly ideal if we own a QB who can run fast and also has a big arm to throw like Cam Newton does. I am just giving it a little doubt if Jerrard Randall is a Newton type of QB and can play to his level. If not, then Les is most likely to name a guy who prefers to stay in the pocket and can accurately deliver the ball when needed and when pass opportunity has been set up by the run, which was exactly what we lacked last season, instead of using a dual threat QB who potentially averages on both sides.

10. LSU Logic

LSU Logic Founding Member

It would be great to have Randall be the heir to Jefferson as a dual threat. I think it is a great strategy to have both a pro quarterback and a dual threat to force defensive coordinators to spend extra time preparing their defenses for either quarterback. As long as you use the both to some capacity in each game, and the playbook plays to different strengths, it creates more work and complicates the work load for a defense.

Jefferson and Lee graduate
    Mett takes over Lees role towards the middle end of this year, and beginning of next
    Randall starts to work into Jeffersons role behind Mett
    Rivers adds much needed weight, and starts the important process of turning a raw talent into a presentable and functional finished good...