Jessie Jackson disses the Tide

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, May 11, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody see where Jesse Jackson is raising hell because Alabama hired a white guy instead of a black guy? I really hope they don't give any money the way NASCAR did.

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I think Jesse Jackson hurt S.Croom more than he helped him. When Bama was trying to choose between Shula and Croom they were looking at the coaches work ethic and character. Then the Rev. Jesse Jackson has to stick his head in and turn it into a racial thing. Just like everything else he does. Jesse Jackson is to blame for most of the racism left in today's society, he takes a normal situation and turns it into a racial situation.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

He is a master of spin, he will take any situation like that and spin it to his advantage just to draw attention to himself.

4. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

I do think Croom was a better fit, and Alabama passing on Croom is a little suspicious, but I think they went with Shula because he is younger (is that correct?) and because he's the son of Don Shula. The Shula name makes bigger headlines.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They didn't go with Shula because he's white but I suspect they eliminated Croom because he's black. Face it. There are a lot of good ol' Bear boys still calling the shots at Bama.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Shula's hiring had nothing to do with Bear's boys. There was a contingent of "Bear Boy's" that voice their opinions...all behind Richard Williamson.

As usual, you don't get the entire story when these things hit the national airwaves. One major aspect that is being overlooked is the one major consultant Coach Moore had with in the NFL ranks was Ozzie Newsome. Croom isn't as good an X and O guy as Shula...he would have been a great fit.

BTW, Croom has said publically he wanted to the job and he's disappointed he didn't get it. But, he all in favor of Shula and will stand behind him. But again, that's something you will not find reported by the media.

We still live with the scar of the "schoolhouse stand." It's a blight in our history. But, I can assure you, it's with the recommendation of Ozzie Newsome that Shula was hired.

Another aspect you won't see reported is the relationship Coach Moore and Coach Croom have had over the decades. It's been described by both that they are as close as "brothers."

Hey, don't misunderstand me. I didn't expect the "media" or the public at large to understand, nor take the time to try.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

The media sometimes tries it best to make the south in general look backwards and slow compared to the rest of the country. It will be hard for us to shake that stereotype.

8. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

Deep down Jessie Jackson is glad that Croom was not hired, because it gives him something to fuss about. Jessie Jackson loves to stereotype the South. He stirs the pot because he knows if racism ends then he will be out of a job.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Sometimes I think he complains just to hear himself speak...

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw on ESPN tonight where Jessie Jackson is going to "investigate" the hiring practices of the University of Alabama at all levels of employment. Personally I think Croom would have been the better hire strictly based on his coaching experience. He won 1 National Championship under th Bear as a player and 2 as a coach with the Bear. I don't think Shula was hire because he is white. He was hired because his name is Shula. Croom may have better coaching credentials but Shula is a lot better known because he was an Alabama QB and will bring more name recognition to the program during the upcoming lean years. For the next few years it wouldn't matter if Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh or the Bear himself was the coach. They are going to struggle. Maybe they should have hired Jessie Jackson